Slow cooker scalloped potatoes is an easy crockpot potatoes recipe that is also a good way to use leftover ham. Growing up, scalloped potatoes and ham was a common family dinner at hour house. Little did I know that this
Using this easy crockpot recipe you can return from a long day away and be greeted by the aroma of this classic American comfort food.
Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
There’s something special about the aroma of scalloped potatoes, as it drifts from your kitchen to every room in the house.
It’s almost like the way a loyal pet can make a house a home.
Growing up, scalloped potatoes was a standard meal in our home.
It’s easy, it’s economical, and it’s deliciously satisfying for young and old alike.
This past weekend while at our lake cottage I learned one more wonderful fact about this dish: You can make scalloped potaotes in a slow cooker!
If you’ve ever thought about the wonderful meals you can create in a slow cooker, oftentimes for a buck or two per serving, it’s truly remarkable.
With this crockpot cheesy scalloped potatoes recipe, we are thrilled to show you one more creation that can be added to that very special mix.
For thickening purposes, use a fine mesh strainer to add flour to recipes like this crockpot scalloped potatoes and ham, our gravy, mac and cheese, etc. This will give a smooth consistency and help to prevent lumps!
How to make Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
(full recipe at end of post)
- Turn slow cooker on high setting, spray inside of crock with non-stick spray.
- Peel the potatoes, allow them to soak in water until you slice them. Thinly slice onion and have some flour ready to sprinkle, in a small kitchen strainer. Place a layer of thinly sliced potatoes in slow cooker, top with a layer of onions, then sprinkle a thin layer of flour.
- Repeat the process, adding shredded cheese, bits of cream cheese, ham, salt, and pepper.
- Midway through process, pour half of milk and soup mixture over contents of slow cooker. Reserve other half for topping off ingredients just prior to final layer.
- Sprinkle each layer with a little flour, throughout. This will help thicken the scalloped potatoes.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 to 8 hours. (If potatoes are too juicy toward end, remove cover and allow to reduce for last 3o minutes. Stir if necessary.)
Much like when I was growing up, our kids love this scalloped potatoes and ham recipe.
They didn’t seem to miss the oven-crisped edges of a bake scalloped potato recipe and if they did, there was certainly no mention of it.
Just a lot of “mmmmm’s“, “this is great,” and “we’ve got to put this on Platter Talk!”
On the advise of our kids, we are sharing this recipe for crockpot scalloped potatoes with you.
Try it and and I think you will understand why our entire family loves this hearty and satisfying meal.
Why we love this Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham Recipe:
- Great for dinner at home
- Great for family gatherings or work parties
- It’s easy and convenient!
Be sure and have a taste of our Baked Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Recipe as well.
FAQ for Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
How can I make crispy scalloped potatoes in a crockpot?
- When the scalloped potatoes are finished cooking in the slow cooker, transfer them to an oven-safe dish is place them on the highest oven rack, under the broiler for 3-5 minutes.
What food goes good with Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes?
- Green salads
- Baked chicken
- Great as a main dish all by itself!
Can you freeze leftover Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes?
- Yes, allow them to cool completely.
- Wrap airtight with kitchen wrap.
- Store for up to six months in the freezer, allow to thaw overnight before eating.
- Reheat on the stovetop in a frying pan.
Other delicious slow cooker recipes
- Slow Cooker Rosemary Beef Tips Recipe
- Slow Cooker Italian Hamburger Soup
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- 3 to 4 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 lb cooked ham coarsely diced
- 8 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz. cream cheese in small chunks
- 1 family size can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Italian parsley for garnish optional
- Turn slow cooker to high setting.
- Spray inside of crock with non-stick spray.
- Combine soup and milk in small bowl, stir to thoroughly combine, set aside.
- Place layer of potatoes on bottom of crock, top with a layer of onions, salt and pepper, followed by a thinly sprinkled layer of flour.
- Evenly distribute a few chunks of ham, followed by a layer of shredded cheese.
- Repeat process, adding some of the chunks of cream cheese throughout.
- At halfway point, evenly distribute 1/2 of milk and soup mixture on top of contents. Reserve remaining amount.
- Continue layering process and evenly distribute remaining milk and soup mixture at the end, top with a final layer of shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours. Remove cover during last half hour or so, if necessary, to reduce liquid.
- Garnish with optional parsley, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Updaged from the original recipe of Feburary 20, 2016