Slow Cooker Italian Hamburger Soup – There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter’s evening. Just imagine walking through the door after a long day at work and smelling the heavenly aroma of Slow Cooker Italian Hamburger Soup. Now that I have your attention, let me explain how easy it is to put together.
Slow Cooker Italian Hamburger Soup
Who would have thought that with only a few simple ingredients from the pantry and a couple of other common items that you probably already have around your kitchen, you could end with this delicious Slow Cooker Italian Hamburger Soup?
As with all of my slow cooker recipes, a little prep before hand goes along way. In this soup recipe I browned my hamburger up the night before. While I had the fry pan out, I also took the liberty to sauté a small onion and three stalks of celery. By planning ahead, I was able to just throw everything into the slow cooker the next morning and still make it to work on time.
This soup is great in a crock pot, but can also be simmered in a pot on the stove on those days that you are home and able to keep an eye on it. But I will be honest with you, I love making soup in a slow cooker. You don’t ever have to worry about it evaporating or boiling over. I almost never use a pot anymore.
For convenience I took advantage of canned vegetables, canned Italian tomatoes and a couple of boxes of vegetable stock. As a note, whenever I use canned items I make certain to get the low sodium options. Along with the canned items, I also use fresh ingredients so that you have a nice balance. This recipe takes advantage of both and delivers big flavor.
Take my advice and pull out your slow cooker and give my Slow Cooker Italian Hamburger Soup a try. I know that once you do, it will become a family favorite.
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 2 15 oz cans Diced Italian tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans mixed vegetables
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 8 cups Vegetable Stock
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 heaping TBS dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat add olive oil. Once olive oil is hot, add onion and celery.
- Cook onion and celery until becomes soft and translucent, add minced garlic. Cook for an additional minute. Remove from skillet and add to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add ground beef and cook until brown and crumbly.
- Remove and add to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.