Hamburger soup can be made with many different ingredients but the best hamburger soup is made with a slow cooker with an Italian twist. Just imagine walking through the door after a long day at work and smelling the heavenly aroma of Slow Cooker Italian Hamburger Soup. Any bad day turns good under these conditions and a good day gets even better.
What is this?
Now that I have your attention, let me explain how easy it is to put together.
Who would have thought that with only a few simple ingredients from the pantry and a couple of other common items that you probably already have around your kitchen, you could end with this delicious ground beef soup?
For convenience, I took advantage of canned vegetables, canned Italian tomatoes, and a couple of boxes of vegetable stock. As a note, whenever I use canned items I make certain to get the low sodium options. Along with the canned items, I also use fresh ingredients so that you have a nice balance. This recipe takes advantage of both and delivers big flavor.
Save time and prep ahead
As with all of my slow cooker recipes, a little prep beforehand goes a long way. In this soup recipe, I browned my hamburger up the night before. While I had the frying pan out, I also took the liberty to sauté a small onion and three stalks of celery. By planning ahead, I was able to just throw everything into the slow cooker the next morning and still make it to work on time.
Make this ground beef soup in the slow cooker on the stovetop
This soup is great in a crockpot, but can also be simmered in a pot on the stove on those days that you are home and able to keep an eye on it. But I will be honest with you, I love making soup in a slow cooker. You don’t ever have to worry about it evaporating or boiling over. I almost never use a pot anymore.
Take my advice and pull out your slow cooker and give my slow cooker Italian hamburger soup a try. I know that once you do, it will become a family favorite.
Slow Cooker Italian Hamburger Soup
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 2 15 oz cans Diced Italian tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans mixed vegetables
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 8 cups Vegetable Stock
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 heaping TBS dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat add olive oil. Once olive oil is hot, add onion and celery.
- Cook onion and celery until it becomes soft and translucent, add minced garlic. Cook for an additional minute. Remove from skillet and add to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add ground beef and cook until brown and crumbly.
- Remove and add to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Substitute ground turkey for the ground beef, if desired.
- For added flavor, make with half sausage and half hamburger.