Our meatloaf recipe is a family favorite.
This easy meatloaf is a kid-friendly meal that is ready to eat in an hour, for about $10.
Dinner time doesn't get any better than this which is why we think it is the best meatloaf ever!
Our Favorite Meatloaf Recipe
We love this meatloaf recipe for too many reasons to list.
But I'm going to try and explain some of the big ones to you.
With just a few ingredients, you can put this simple meatloaf recipe together in a matter of minutes.
Pop it in the oven and have it on the table in less than an hour.
All for about $10.
What's in this Meatloaf Recipe
- Ground turkey (or ground beef)
- Pork sausage
- Oatmeal and breadcrumbs
- Barbecue sauce
- Onion, garlic, carrots, and sweet pepper
- Salt and Pepper
It wasn't that long ago when the mention of meatloaf for dinner usually meant some hamburger mixed with ketchup and salt and pepper that you would bake in the oven.
Maybe, just maybe, a diced up green pepper if you really wanted to live it up.
Think back to the days of Lawrence Welk and June Cleaver.
New colors start to appear, more complex aromas, and suddenly this meatloaf recipe has lost its greasy spoon personality.
How to Make this Easy Meatloaf Recipe
Our use of sausage, mixed with beef, sets the stage for our favorite meatloaf.
Sausage adds both flavor and moisture to any dish.
To save some fat calories but not sacrifice the taste, we often use Italian flavored Turkey sausage instead of pork sausage for our meatloaf.
1. Start by mixing the beef and sausage in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add some egg to the meat mixture to act as a binding agent and help hold the meatloaf together.
3. We make this meatloaf with oatmeal, just like you grew up eating. Somethings are just meant to be!
4. Breadcrumbs will add additional flavor and structure to your meatloaf.
- Use plain or Italian-flavored breadcrumbs for this recipe.
Besides sausage, we take this easy meatloaf recipe to the next level by adding a few other ordinary and inexpensive ingredients.
Use a bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce to amp the flavor of this meatloaf. Half will go into the mixture and then the other half will be spread on top of the meatloaf before baking.
Our friend from Kevin is Cooking shows you how to make your own barbecue sauce, it's one of our favorites for many different foods, including this meatloaf.
Minced garlic is another flavor booster for this meatloaf.
You can buy minced garlic in the store which, is a big time-saver. We always have a jar in the fridge and add it to many of our soups and entrees.
Fresh Carrots and Sweet Bell Peppers
This fresh produce gives flavor and texture to the meatloaf, and even a pinch of health!
When you have the meatloaf mixed and ready to bake, just put it in a greased loaf pan.
Top it with more barbecue sauce and then bake it for 45 minutes, uncovered, at 350° F.
You can top the meatloaf with more barbecue sauce when it comes out of the oven.
We certainly won't judge you for this!
Our favorite meatloaf recipe is loved by friends and family alike.
It's fast to make, inexpensive, and mouthwateringly delicious.
You're going to love this meatloaf too!
What to Serve with Meatloaf
Garlic mashed potatoes
Buttered carrots with rosemary
Buttery garlic green beans
Easy homemade bread
Don't miss our apple butter meatloaf recipe, as well!
Other delicious dinners
- Parmesan Sausage Bread Bowls
- Instant Pot Creamy Italian Sausage and Shells
- Sausage and Chicken Gumbo
Platter Talk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
If you’ve tried this recipe for Meatloaf or any other recipe on Platter Talk, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below, we love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what we have cooking.
- 1 lb Ground turkey
- 1 lb Ground sausage I like to use sweet Italin sausage
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- ¾ cup Breadcrumbs Italian-style
- 12 oz Barbecue sauce divided, plus more for serving if desired.
- ½ Onion Finely diced
- 1 cup Carrots Fresh, shredded
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 3 Garlic cloves Crushed
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Black pepper Fresh ground.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Using a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the turkey and the sausage and mix thoroughly.
- Add the egg, oatmeal, and breadcrumbs and continue to mix. Stir in the barbecue sauce and remaining ingredients until everything is blended together.
- Lightly oil a standard-size loaf pan. Place the meat mixture into the loaf pan and shape the top to conform with the contour of the pan. Next, pour an additional ½ cup barbecue sauce on top of meat and distribute evenly with spoon or spatula.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes until meat is cooked throughout.
Updated from the original post of April 16, 2013
I can't think of a time when meatloaf doesn't sound good! Thanks for leaving a comment!
I almost ordered meatloaf for lunch today. It's such rustic comfort food! Yours looks great!
Ohhh... That looks so yumilicious!
Dan from Platter Talk
Thanks for the comment. It is a work in progress!
Dan from Platter Talk
Our kids eat this up! Thanks for the comment
I love your photography, it makes the food look even more tempting! Can't wait to try this!
Yum! My kids love meatloaf! I can't wait to make this, I hope it turns out as pretty as your pictures!