Creamed Spinach and Parsnips
on Jan 13, 2018, Updated Nov 06, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Creamed spinach and parsnips makes for a humble yet solid side dish recipe that can bring subtle warmth and comfort to a cold day and transform an ordinary dinner into something that will make you long for it again and again.
Have you tried parsnips before, maybe in a soup or possibly a salad? I myself have had them only a few times and it seems that whenever I have had them, I am always asking myself, “What is that vegetable that I taste“?
Parsnips are a little scary looking. Tubular, anemic, albino in appearance they are a bit outside of what many of us are familiar with. But guess what? They’re actually pretty nice tasting, not a great deal unlike a carrot.
I have never prepared a recipe with parsnips before making this creamed spinach recipe. and as I was washing the parsnips prior to cutting them up, I noticed a wax coating around them. Look carefully at the above photo and you can see it, especially on the one on the right. The wax comes off easily and I learned that grocers will sometimes do this to help preserve the moisture within the parsnips. Who know?
I made a few modifications with this creamed spinach and parsnips recipe that I found on Delish. That recipe uses something like three different pots and pans and tells you to chop the spinach before adding it to the pot.
Why would you do either when you can use one pot for the entire recipe and it turns out like this:
Whats in it
- Vegetable oil
- Broth (poultry or vegetable)
- Baby Spinach
- Salt and Pepper
Try this creamed spinach recipe soon. It’s an easy and delicious side dish and I think you will really enjoy it. Thanks for reading Platter Talk, we are so happy to have you.
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Creamed Spinach and Parsnips
- 2 Parsnips, Sliced lengthwise, quarted in 1.5 inch segments
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup broth, vegetable or poultry broth
- 2 tbsp flour, adjust to desired consistency
- 1 cup heavy cream, may substitute milk or half and half
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt, adjust to your taste
- black ground pepper, to taste
- Place deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat and melt butter and then add oil. Add Parsnips and sautee until lightly brown and tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in broth and be sure to scrape up any brown bits on bottom of pan. Bring to low simmer and whisk in flour with a fork to light pasty consistency.
- Reduce heat and slowly add cream (or milk), use fork to stir until smooth sauce is formed. Adjust liquids/and flour to achieve desired consistency. Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in baby spinach and cover for 5 minutes or until ready to serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.