Vegan hot chocolate is a fast and easy non-dairy drink for people who love chocolate but choose a vegan diet or have lactose intolerance. Using a slow cooker, you can make this treat for a crowd or just for yourself.
What is it?
This dairy-free hot chocolate is the perfect warm drink for cool nights. Using a slow cooker is a neat and tidy way of making enough for the whole family, or enough to enjoy over the course of a few days.
We love to serve this recipe around the holidays but if you want to leave the Christmas flavors out and just go full-chocolate, we would never judge you!
What’s in it?
Coconut milk replaces the traditional dairy milk or cream in this vegan hot chocolate. You can use your favorite non-dairy milk.
Other options include:
- Almond milk
- Coconut milk
- Oat milk
- Soy milk
How to make it
- With your slow cooker set to low, add the non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir them together.
- Then whisk the ingredients. Cover your crockpot and cook for 2 hours on low.
You can customize this vegan hot cocoa to your liking and even to the season. We add some Christmas flavors to this version and our kids enjoy it all year round!
Customize this vegan hot chocolate with your favorite ingredients. Some of the different ways we enjoy it include using:
- Pure maple syrup – Use this instead of sugar. Sweeten to your personal taste.
- Expresso powder – Add a little pick-me-up to this non dairy hot chocolate!
- Instant coffee – This gives your hot beverage a nice mocha flavor.
- Peppermint extract – This is a must during the holiday season!
- Peppermint schnapps – A shot of this will give you a vegan version of our Peppermint Patty drink!
Yes, to make this non dairy hot chocolate on your stove top. Use a 2-quart sauce pan and combine the ingredients over medium-low heat until it is heated throughout.
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Slow Cooker Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker. Whisk to combine.
- Cover and slow cook on low setting for 2 hours. Stir every 15 to 30 minutes.
- Ladle into mugs and top with marshmallows if desired!
- Using “lite” coconut milk will make this less coconut flavored.
- To prepare in the microwave, scale down the ingredients to a single serving. Combine in a mug and microwave on high for 1 minute.