Chicken in Milk Recipe - This savory dish combines a couple of my favorite foods, chicken and milk. Although it sounds like an unlikely combination, it is mouth-watering, tender, and completely delicious.
Chicken in Milk Recipe
Although I've not cooked meat in milk, it's not uncommon practice in French cuisine, particularly with pork. After making this Chicken in Milk Recipe, I have resolved to try it with pork. This dish is that good.
This Chicken in Milk Recipe starts by browning a whole chicken. I used my trusty and ancient cast iron skillet, one of my favorite backing vessels. The most basic of basic, it is versatile and durable to the point of lasting a lifetime.
This article and video by Cook's Illustrated Magazine offers an excellent overview of what is out there. You will note, their favorite is the least expensive, just over $30. Platter Talk is an amazon affiliate and receives a small commission on purchases linked from our site. Check out this fantastic skillet here!
After seasoning the bird with salt and pepper, wisps of fresh lemon zest are combined with the likes of cinnamon, unpeeled garlic cloves, fresh sage leaves, and... milk. I've read variations of this Chicken in Milk Recipe that use chai tea and cumin as flavorings and I can't imagine how they wouldn't fit right in with the other ingredients. This Chicken in Milk Recipe is extremely simple to make, it presents beautifully, and your family or guests will love it. Please, give it a try soon!
Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk Recipe on Platter Talk
- 1 3-4 lb. roasting chicken
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ stick cinnamon
- 1 good handful fresh sage leaves picked
- 2 lemons zest of
- 10 cloves garlic skin left on
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Season the bird, generously with salt and pepper.
- In cast iron skillet, heat oil and butter on medium high heat.
- Brown the chicken in olive oil and butter, turning it to get an even color all over, until golden brown.
- Remove from the heat, put the chicken on a plate, discard the oil left in the pot. This will leave you with tasty sticky goodness at the bottom of the pan which will give you a lovely caramel flavor later on.
- Put your chicken back in the pot with the rest of the ingredients, and cook in the preheated oven for 1½ hours. Baste with the cooking juice when you remember. The lemon zest will sort of split the milk, making a sauce which is absolutely fantastic.
- To serve, pull the meat off the bones and divide it onto your plates. Spoon over plenty of juice and the little curds. Serve with wilted spinach or greens and some mashed potato.
justine @ Full Belly Sisters
I've seen Jamie's recipe for this and always meant to make it. Thanks for the reminder that i must try this SOON.
Debi @ Life Currents
I've seen this recipe around Pinterest from other sources, and I could never tell how it came out. Yours looks like it came out perfectly! So lovely, crispy, browned, juicy. Just perfect I'd say!
Dan from Platter Talk
Thanks, Debi! Everyone enjoyed this one!
My grandmother soaked her chicken in milk before making fried chicken and it was delicious. I never thought to cook in it. I will have to rectify it.
Rachel @ Simple Seasonal
This chicken looks so tender a flavorful. I cook pork in milk sometimes, but I've never tried it with chicken. I'm going to have to give it a go!
I have saved his recipe for some time now but for whatever the reason I was not inspired to try it. Chicken and milk...not quite appealing. But after seeing how juicy and moist your chicken turned out, I am so making this recipe. Thanks for sharing it!
Joy @ Joy Love Food
I haven't tried the technique of cooking meat in milk before either, this looks delicious, I will have to give it a go!