Air Fryer Hash Browns
on Jan 28, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Air fryer hash browns are about to change your breakfast game forever! Imagine crispy, golden hash browns cooked to perfection without all the oil and mess of traditional frying.
This air fryer recipe is so easy and quick that you’ll be amazed at how something so simple can taste so good. Get ready to impress your family with a breakfast that’s not only delicious but healthier, too!
Table of Contents
This simple recipe is an easy way to turn a good breakfast into a great one. Like these air fryer cinnamon rolls, It is one of our favorite ways to use an air fryer and the short list of natural ingredients ensures you won’t be starting your day with a bunch of chemicals and preservatives.
Just like our crispy kale chips, crispy potatoes, and beet chips, these homemade hashbrowns can be made without turning on your oven. If you haven’t caught the air frying bug yet, I really encourage you to get into the groove!
And, air fryer hash browns are generally considered healthier because they require less oil for cooking.
Ingredients and Notes
This air fryer hashbrowns recipe features grated fresh potatoes with some everyday seasoning, olive oil, and a couple of eggs. Making breakfast at home just got easier!
Potatoes: Potatoes provide the starchy base for the hash browns. They also contribute to the texture, creating a crispy exterior and a tender interior.
I recommend using russet potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes (like in our blitva recipe) for the best results. If needed, you can use sweet potatoes, which are flavorful and also have a hint of sweetness.
Garlic Powder: Garlic powder adds a savory and aromatic flavor to the hash browns. It also provides a convenient way to add garlic to the recipe without the need for chopping fresh garlic.
Onion Powder: Onion powder complements the delicious hash browns with a subtle onion flavor. If you have fresh onions, I recommend finely chopping and sautéing them before adding to the mixture.
Eggs: Eggs act as a binding agent, helping hash browns hold together. They also give them structure and moisture. For an egg-free version, consider using flax or chia seeds mixed with water as a substitute.
Olive Oil: Olive oil helps the hash browns achieve a golden brown color during cooking. You can substitute it with vegetable oil, canola oil, avocado oil spray, or melted butter.
Feel free to adjust the quantity based on your personal preference or dietary restrictions.
Salt and Black Pepper: Salt enhances the overall taste of the hash browns, while black pepper adds a subtle kick to them. Adjust the salt and pepper according to your preference.
Consider adding other seasonings such as paprika, cayenne pepper, or Italian seasoning for a unique flavor profile.
How to Make These
(See the recipe card below for the full recipe)
This air fryer hash brown recipe is made by peeling, shredding, draining, and combining potatoes with eggs and seasonings. Form patties, freeze, air fry until golden. Serve for a delightful breakfast!
- The first thing you need to do is wash the potatoes, peel them, and then grate them with a grater. As you grate them, put them in a big bowl of cold water.
2. Allow the grated potatoes to soak until you have all of them grated. Then, put them in a collender and rinse them until the water is clear.
Rinsing the potatoes thoroughly is crucial as it removes the starch from them (which is what makes the water turn white as you are rinsing them.) Getting rid of the starch will give you nice, crispy hash browns. Excess starch will make your hash browns mushy and clump together.
3. After you have rinsed them, use some papertowel and soak up as much of the water from the grated potatoes and return them to the bowl.
4. Add the eggs and seasoning to the rinsed potatoes.
5. Now you can mix all of the ingredients together. Use a table fork to do this and be sure everything is well incorporated.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then divide the uncooked hash browns into four equal portions. Shape them into hash brown patties as shown. Then, place the patties in the freezer for 30 to 60 minutes, until frozen (or close to it.)
7. Preheat the air fryer 350°. Doing this is super important because you want the hash browns to go into the machine when it is hot! Brush the uncooked patties with butter or olive oil and place in the air fryer for about 15 minutes.
Wondering about the best way to achieve crispy air fryer hash browns? The key to crispy hash browns is spraying or brushing them with cooking oil and ensuring that they are in a single layer on the air fryer tray. This allows hot air to circulate evenly
8. After about 15 minutes, or once they turn golden brown, they are ready to come out!
Substitutions and Variations
- Sweet Potatoes: Replace regular potatoes with sweet potatoes for a sweeter, nutrient-rich alternative.
- Egg Substitute: For a vegan option, use a flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water) instead of regular eggs.
- Oil Variations: Instead of olive oil, try coconut oil for a slight coconut flavor, or use butter for a richer taste.
- Cheesy Hash Browns: Add ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the mixture before forming patties for a cheesy twist.
- Spicy Kick: Mix in ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper or chili flakes or hot sauce for hash browns with a bit of heat.
- Herb Infused: Include 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped herbs like parsley, chives, or thyme for an aromatic flavor.
- Loaded Hash Browns: Top the cooked hash browns with a dollop of sour cream, chopped green onions, and crumbled bacon for a loaded version.
These substitutions and variations offer creative ways to customize this air fryer hash browns recipe to suit different tastes and dietary needs. Enjoy experimenting!
Frozen Hash Browns in the Air Fryer
If you’re wondering if you can use frozen hash browns in the air fryer, the answer is yes!
Just place the frozen store bought hash browns in a single layer on the air fryer tray for a quick and easy breakfast. Also, be sure to follow the heating instructions provided on the package.
To find frozen hash browns, they are typically in the frozen food section of your local grocery store
Common Recipe Questions
Depending on your air fryer model or brand, the cooking time may vary, but a general guide is around 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for perfectly crispy hash browns.
To prevent sticking, lightly coat the air fryer basket with cooking spray or olive oil spray.
What to Serve with These
Serve your delicious homemade hash browns with fresh fruit or pair them with scrambled eggs, french toast, and bacon for a hearty breakfast.
You can also enjoy your cooked hash browns with your favorite dipping sauce or ketchup (which our kids find manditory!) I love to use these to sop up the yolk of a fried egg or two.
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container and reheat them in the air fryer at 350 degrees for a quick and crispy breakfast addition.
The next time you are craving some crispy hashbrowns, give these air fryer breakfast potatoes a try. This simple recipe is a game changer and sure to become your new favorite breakfast side dish!
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Air Fryer Hash Browns
- 4 medium fresh potatoes, peeled and grated 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Start by peeling the fresh potatoes.
- Wash the peeled potatoes and then use a box grater to shred them. Rinse the shredded potatoes and soak them in water.
- Drain the shredded potatoes and squeeze out as much water as you can from them. Rinse with a colander and then use some paper towels to help absorb the excess water. This will ensure that you have extra crispy hash browns.
- In a large bowl, mix the drained hashbrowns with eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts and place them in an even layer on a tray lined with parchment paper. Shape them into hashbrown patties.
- Freeze the patties in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until they are frozen.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees and place the frozen potatoes in the air fryer basket. Brush or spray them with a little oil and cook them for approximately 15* minutes or until the hashbrowns turn golden brown.
- While an air fryer is the recommended method for this recipe, shallow or deep frying them in a frying pan can be done.
- Use a colander to rinse the shredded potatoes until the water runs clear.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Recipes