Orange Candied Ginger Bread
on Sep 14, 2015, Updated Dec 14, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Orange Candied Ginger Bread is an easy-to-make sweet bread that is full of flavor and zing. We may have also thrown in a handful of Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips to make this orange bread even better. Please, don’t judge us.
Table of Contents
Orange Sweet Bread
Today, we’re going to make a super yummy orange bread. This Orange Bread Recipe is like a magic trick – we mix some simple things together, and it turns into delicious bread!
It’s sweet, has little bits of chocolate, and a fun orange flavor. Plus, we add some ginger to make it extra special. Our orange bread recipe is perfect for a snack or even for breakfast!
Orange Bread Ingredients
- 2 cups flour: This is like the ground where our Orange Sweet Bread grows.
- 1 cup sugar: For sweetness in our Orange Bread Recipe.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt: These are our little helpers that make the bread rise and taste good.
- Zest of 1 orange: This is the orange’s skin, grated into tiny pieces for a big orange flavor.
- Juice of 1 orange: Squeeze an orange to get this. It makes the bread moist and orangey.
- 1/2 cup finely diced candied ginger: This is sweet ginger, a spice that gives a little zing to this orange bread.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips: Little chocolate treasures in our Orange Sweet Bread.
- 3/4 cup milk and 2 eggs: They bring everything together.
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted & cooled: It makes our bread soft.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla: For a lovely smell and taste.
In case you’re not familiar with it, candied ginger are chewy little chunks of ginger that are poached in simple sugar and then lightly coated with sugar. It’s like adding small chunks of edible gold to this orange bread!
Crystallized ginger is similar to the candied version, sometimes indistinguishable. Both are chewy with a pungent and mildly spiced flavor. This Orange Candied Ginger Bread combines a trio of flavors that I have always considered to be good friends: Orange, Ginger, and Chocolate.
Why You’ll Love This Orange Bread!
- It’s Fun to Make: Mixing all the ingredients is like doing a fun kitchen project.
- Yummy Orange and Chocolate Flavor: Who doesn’t love chocolate? And with orange, it’s even better!
- A Sweet Snack: This Orange Sweet Bread is perfect when you’re hungry for something sweet.
- You Made It Yourself!: There’s nothing cooler than eating something delicious that you made with your own hands.
There are a couple of things that I especially like about this Orange Candied Ginger Bread. First, its flavor is a bit exotic and pleasing. With mild elements of both sweet and savory going on here, each bite has just a tiny element of chewy spice.
Adding to the interest and crunch of this orange bread is a light sprinkling of raw, turbinado sugar to the loaf’s top. That’s a flavorful little baking tip I picked up from Scott’s Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins!
Substitutions and Variations
- Different Fruits: You can try lemon zest and juice instead of orange for a twist.
- No Ginger? No Problem!: If you don’t have candied ginger, it’s okay. The bread will still be yummy.
- White Chocolate Chips: For a different kind of sweetness, use white chocolate chips in your Orange Bread Recipe.
- Nuts or Raisins: Add some nuts or raisins for a crunchy surprise in your Orange Sweet Bread.
The other thing I really like about this Orange Candied Ginger Bread, and it’s an important consideration, this is an easy bread to put together.
Sweet bread is a type of bread that’s usually enriched with ingredients like sugar, milk, butter, and eggs, which gives it a sweeter flavor and a richer, softer texture compared to regular bread.
This kind of bread often includes additional sweet ingredients such as fruits (like raisins or dried cranberries), nuts, spices (like cinnamon or nutmeg), chocolate chips, or even swirls of sweet fillings.
Sweet breads are typically enjoyed as a treat or dessert, and they can be served as a snack, for breakfast, or as part of a special occasion meal.
Some popular examples of sweet breads include banana bread, brioche, cinnamon rolls, and the festive panettone or stollen.
They’re different from savory breads, which focus more on flavors like herbs, cheese, or garlic and usually have less sugar and fat.
Few people enjoy good bread better than I do, yet I consider baking bread to be one of my greatest baking challenges.
If you are looking for an out-of-the-ordinary bread for a special occasion or just a tasty treat that I think you will enjoy, please give this one a try. -Dan
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Orange Candied Ginger Bread
- Preheat oven 350degrees F. Lightly grease a 8×4 loaf pan
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder & salt. Add orange zest , ginger and chocolate chips; toss to distribute evenly.
- In another bowl, whisk milk, eggs, butter, orange juice, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir to combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- -60- minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; let cool 10 minutes. Turn loaf out onto rack; let cool completely.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.