Orange Candied Ginger Bread is an easy-to-make sweet bread that’s full of flavor and zing. We may have thrown in a handful of Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips, as well. Please, don’t judge us.
Orange Candied Ginger Bread
Have you ever picked up an ingredient, not knowing precisely what you were going to do with it? This is one of those things that happens to me, not infrequently. Typically it’s something I don’t use often but want to become more familiar with using. Such was the case when I made a pit stop to a little Amish grocery store, just a few miles from our little cottage. It was there I spotted some small containers of candied ginger and without giving it too much though, I bought some to the lake with me.
In case you’re not familiar with it, candied ginger are chewy little chunks of ginger that are poached in simple sugar and then lightly coated with sugar. Crystallized ginger is similar to the candied version, sometimes indistinguishable. Both are chewy with a pungent and mildly spiced flavor. This Orange Candied Ginger Bread combines a trio of flavors that I have always considered to be good friends: Orange, Ginger, and Chocolate.
There are a couple of things that I especially like about this Orange Candied Ginger Bread. First, its flavor is a bit exotic and pleasing. With mild elements of both sweet and savory going on here, each bite has just a tiny element of chewy spice. Adding to the interest and crunch is a light sprinkling of raw, turbinado sugar to the loaf’s top. That’s a flavorful little baking tip I picked up from Scott’s Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
The other thing I really like about this Orange Candied Ginger Bread, and it’s an important consideration, this is an easy bread to put together. Few people enjoy a good bread better than I do, yet I consider baking bread to be one of my greater culinary challenges. If you are looking for an out of the ordinary bread for a special occasion or just a tasty treat that I think you will enjoy, please give this one a try. -Dan
Looking for more great sweet-bread recipes? We’ve got you covered!
Never Miss Another Platter Talk Recipe
- 2 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1 orange
- ½ c. finely diced candied ginger
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick (8Tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven 350degrees F. Lightly grease a 8×4 loaf pan
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder & salt. Add orange zest , ginger and chocolate chips; toss to distribute evenly.
- In another bowl, whisk milk, eggs, butter, orange juice, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir to combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- -60- minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; let cool 10 minutes. Turn loaf out onto rack; let cool completely.