This meal of Savory Pork Chops goes together in under an hour and is made using a single skillet. Even better, this recipe handily feeds four people for about $20 or less.
Savory Pork Chops in Apple Cider and Mushroom Gravy
What do you do when you are pumping gas into your car after work, and suddenly remember that you invited someone over for dinner? Even more, they will be there in an hour. Well I panic. Once I pull myself together, then I walk into my Kwik Trip convenience store and see if I can pull together some semblance of a meal using what I can find there. Challenge accepted.
The Main Ingredients for this Savory Pork Chops Recipe
- Boneless pork chops
- Baby carrots
- Apple cider
- White wine
- Savory spices
- Ground cloves
You guys know me by now. I love to pull a meal out of midair. Remember when I put together my Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken recipe? I did that one by shopping my freezer and pantry before work. This day would not be any different.
The Kwik Trip gas station and convenience nearest our home is stocked with all the basic conveniences.
They have milk, vegetables, canned foods, and they even have a selection of fresh meats like chicken and pork chops.
So, I took a gamble on the pork chops and it paid off. I also picked up a few other items that caught my eye, a couple of potatoes, a small onion, fresh mushrooms, baby carrots, some rolls, and a bagged salad mix.
All in all, I was in it for under $15 bucks. Back to the house, I drove with no idea of what these ingredients would become.
When I finally got home, I was going to try and recreate my Harvest Pork recipe, but I did not have apples, and so I rolled up my sleeves and took a survey of my kitchen.
I hit pay dirt when I found some white wine, apple cider and chicken stock in the refrigerator.
My worries disappeared while I poured myself a glass of wine and started to sear the pork chops and put together the gravy for the dish.
In a matter of 20 minutes, I had this meal together and in the oven to finish it’s cooking process.
The result is a flavorful and easy meal that can be made on a weekday or for a Sunday meal.
Oh, by the way, I may have forgotten to tell my company that all the ingredients came from the gas station.
Why would I when it came out restaurant quality?
I hope that you try my Savory Pork Chops in this Apple Cider and Mushroom gravy. I know that you will love it. Enjoy -Scott
Savory Pork Chops in Apple Cider & Mushroom Gravy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb pork chops boneless, 4 pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion coarase dice
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz carrots baby carrots
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1.5 cup white wine
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoing or other savory herb(s)
- 1 tsp sage ground
- 1.5 tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and In an oven safe skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil and brown pork chops on each side, about 2 minutes each side. Reminder: Don't forget to season the pork chops with salt and pepper first. Remove pork chops from pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter, onions, mushrooms and carrots. Cook until onions begin to become translucent or soften. This will only take 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining butter and flour. Stir flour into the vegetables and allow to cook for a minute or two.
- Pour in the white wine and allow the alcohol to cook off. This should take a minute or so. You may wish to increase the temperature of your burner to allow the gravy to come to a light boil.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients, chicken stock, apple cider, apple cider vinegar as well as your seasonings, poultry seasoning, ground sage, ground cloves and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and add back the pork chops to the gravy. Cover your skillet and place in the oven for approximately 30 minutes to allow your pork chops to finishing cooking.
- Cover your skillet and place in the oven for approximately 30 minutes to allow your pork chops to finishing cooking.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and enjoy!