Spitzbuben – Need a fast and easy-to-make holiday cookie that everyone will love? These little Spitzbubens are just the ticket.
What are these?
Fancy in name only, these Swiss butter cookies could hardly be any simpler to make or tasty to enjoy. Traditionally filled with raspberry jam, you can put whatever spreadable confection you like within them.
Speaking of making do with what you have on hand, use any appropriate size cut out for the cookie base and for the centers. I used the inside of a handheld cheese grater for the center cut-outs on these Spitzbuben.
Flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, and an egg. And filling. That’s about the extent of these Spitzbuben Cookies. We’ve had some preserves collecting in our pantry, many from local farmer’s markets that we picked up this past summer.
Some were gifts and others were just little jars of spreadable sweetness that we picked up on our journeys. Any type of jam or preserve goes well with these Spitzbubens. We used some fig preserves for this batch and may I just say that Santa is going to be mighty happy when he finds a plate of these on the hearth of our fireplace this year. Give them a try, I think you’re going to enjoy! -Dan
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 1 ⁄2 cups flour plus more for dusting
- 1 ⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 ⁄4 cup raspberry jam or other preserve
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Heat oven to 325°. Beat butter and sugar with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat. Add flour and salt; mix. Transfer dough to a floured surface, form into a disk, roll until 1⁄4″ thick. Using a 2″ fluted round cutter, cut out cookies and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spaced 2″ apart. Chill for 30 minutes. Using a 1 1⁄4″ plain round cutter, cut out centers of half the cookies; reserve centers to re-roll and make more cookies.. Bake cookies until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes; cool.
- Dust cookie rings with confectioners’ sugar. Place 1 tsp. jam in center of each whole cookie; spread to within 1⁄3″ of edge. Top each with a cookie ring.