Apple turnovers are always welcome on our kitchen counter. This recipe using crescent rolls came about this morning when I was looking through my cottage pantry. Trying to come up with an easy family dessert, I found exactly what I was looking for. Read on and I’ll show you how you can make this homemade apple dessert using just a few ingredients and a tube of crescent rolls.
How to Make Apple Turnovers Using Crescent Rolls
Grab your kids and a tube of crescent roll dough for some fun family time in the kitchen!
(Full instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.)
Gather the Ingredients
- One tube of cinnamon rolls
- 2 apples
- Ground cloves
- Ground nutmeg
- Golden Grahams cereal
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla Extract
1. Add the butter, apples, and spices to a skillet over medium heat.
2. Cook until the apples are brown and tender.
3. Roll out the crescent roll dough as directed in the recipe below.
4. Sprinkle each piece of dough with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
5. Crush some Golden Grahams cereal.
6. Place a small base of the crushed cereal in the center top third of each rectangle.
7. Evenly dole out the apple filling, on top of the bed of crushed cereal.
8. Wet a finger with water and wet the edge of each piece of dough.
9. Fold the top part of each dough rectangle and turn the edges up and seal.
Finally, sprinkle the remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture over the unbaked turnovers before baking them.
The last step to making these apple turnovers is to allow them to cool. Then, you will drizzle each portion with the glaze.
This recipe is a great shortcut to making yummy apple turnovers. Using a couple of apples, some ordinary spices, and a tube of crescent roll dough, you can put these together for just a little over a dollar per serving. Your family is sure to love this fun recipe!
Apple Turnovers Using Crescent Rolls
- 1 tube Crescent rolls
For the Filling
- 2 Apples peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon Divided
- 4 tbsp Sugar Divided
- 1 tsp Cloves ground
- 1 tsp Nutmeg ground
- ¼ cup Golden Grahams Cereal Crushed (or Cinnamon Toast Crunch)
For the Glaze
- ¼ cup Powdered sugar
- 3-4 tsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Using a non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add the apples, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of sugar, cloves and nutmeg. Cook until the apples are tender.
- Mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Open the crescent rolls. Separate keeping 2 of the triangles together to form a rectangle. Push together and seal the perforations. On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to form a solid rectangle. You will end up with four rectangles of crescent roll dough.
- Sprinkle some of the cinnamon sugar and cinnamon mixture down the center of the 4 pieces of dough, while staying away from the edges.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the crushed cereal in the center top third of each rectangle.
- Divide the apple filling between the four pieces of dough and place on top of the crushed cereal, being sure to stay away from the edges.
- Dip a finger in water and wet all 4 edges of the dough and fold over the filling. Fold over the edges to make sure the turnovers are sealed. Place each turnover onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Use the remaining cinnamon sugar and sprinkle over the turnovers.
- Place in a 400° oven for 18-20 minutes. If the turnovers begin to brown too quickly, put a sheet of aluminum fouls on top. Remove from oven when done and allow to cool.
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and then drizzle over the cooled apple turnovers.