Open Face Dutch Apple Pie
Believe it or not, we still have a few apples from our tree that are begging to be baked. Over the past few weeks, I’ve been up to my elbows in pies.
Making some for work, some for the kids, and for the generous family who bought my “Pie a month for a Year” at our church’s big fundraiser Viva Italia, back in October.
How to Make Apple Pie
- Cut and peel six cups of apple slices then place them in a pie shell. Either make a homemade pie crust or buy one in a grocery store.
- Mix some cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together and put it over the apples.
- Create a topping of brown sugar, flour, and butter (with optional pecans or walnuts if desired) and sprinkle this combination over the spice mixture.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the apples are tender and the pie crust is lightly brown.
- Let the pie set for 30 minutes before slicing, if you have the willpower!
Most of us have a favorite pie. Although I can’t say I fall within what is likely the majority of those who hold apple pie at the top of their list, to my knowledge, I have never turned down a slice of this variety.
If you’re looking for some Thanksgiving pie recipes, this easy Dutch Apple Pie is a great choice.
More Thanksgiving Pie Ideas:
- Pecan Pie from Platter Talk
- Thanksgiving Pies and Tarts from Food & Wine
- Dazzling Thanksgiving Pies from Southern Living
- Brandy Chocolate Cherry Pie from Platter Talk
More Easy Apple Desserts
Our own chef Kat does an amazing job at showing you how to make a pie crust from scratch. Give it a whirl and in no time at all you’ll be known as an expert pie maker to all!
Dutch Apple Pie
Learn how to make apple pie with this Open Face Apple Pie from Platter Talk. Enjoy Dutch apple pie throughout the year with this easy apple pie recipe.
For the Filling
- 6 cups peeled apple slices
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fill pie shell with apple slices.
- Combine granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; sprinkle over the apples.
- Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over top of pie.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until apples are tender and topping is browned.
See our recipe for homemade pie crust!
Updated from original apple pie recipe from December 1, 2013.