Nutella Buckeyes are a savory twist of the traditional buckeye treat that many of us grew up with.
This sweet twist on the classic peanut butter fudge that is half-wrapped in chocolate features the hazelnut flavors of Nutella chocolate spread.
Around our house, any treat with Nutella raises it a notch or two in popularity. These Buckeyes do just that!
Form follows function in the kitchen, or a least that's what my sister the chef has drilled into my head, time and time again.
When we went to put some classic buckeye treats together for the holidays this year, we had only a cup or two of the required chocolate chips.
Next to the chocolate chips though sat an untapped jar of a chocolate hazelnut spread (similar to Nutella.)
My sister's words came to me and before I knew it I was smacking my lips.
There are many different ways to make Buckeyes.
We went very simple with the filling. A few basic ingredients are all that is needed.
The great thing about this recipe is how quickly it all goes together. Not to mention that we did not have to turn on the oven. Double score.
As we started to assemble these little treats, a debate started to happen.
Do we completely submerge the peanut butter filling in our melted chocolate and hazelnut dip, or do we leave an opening at the top (which is more traditional)? Since we eat with our eyes first, I decided to leave the top open.
This way, you know what you are eating. I think that it makes these Buckeye more visually appealing.
By the addition of a little bit of a famous hazelnut spread to our melted chocolate chips, we completely changed the flavor of these Hazelnut Buckeye Holiday Treats.
The hazelnut flavor is not overwhelming. Once you take a bite, you will want to eat more. If you need one more treat for your holiday treat table, look no further.
This one is a winner! From our family to yours, have a Merry Christmas and the warmest of dishes.
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
- 1 ½ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- ½ cup of Softened Butter
- 3 cups Powder Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 8 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 TBS Hazelnut Spread Nutella
- In a mixing bowl cream softened butter, peanut butter and salt together until incorporated and smooth.
- Add Vanilla and mix into filling.
- Slowly add powder sugar, ½ cup at a time, into the peanut butter mixture. Add enough powder sugar until you are able to form 1 inch balls with the mixture and you can insert a toothpick and ball will stay on the toothpick.
- Place balls into the refrigerator so that they can firm up.
- Put chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Stir chocolate chips.
- Continue to microwave chocolate chips for approximately 30 seconds until the chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Add hazelnut spread to the melted chocolate chips and stir.
- Using a toothpick to hold the firmed up peanut butter balls, dip into the chocolate hazelnut coating leaving an opening at the top, so that you can see some of the filling.
- Place dipped buckeye on a cookie tray lined with waxed/parchment paper.
- Continue to dip the remaining peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate mixture until all balls are coated. If your chocolate begins to firm up or harden, place in the microwave until melted.
- Refrigerate the finished buckeyes.
- Serve and enjoy.