Make this Mediterranean classic with your own homemade Greek salad dressing from your kitchen.
What is this?
A couple of nights ago Scott and I threw a very impromptu dinner party. In fact, it was downright on the fly. Aside from knowing what I would be serving as the main event, I wasn’t even certain about who was coming or how many, let alone what I would be serving as a side dis.
I was going with a Mediterranean-oriented main (Greek Chicken and Rice wrapped in Fillo.) The path of least resistance to this regard also seemed to be the most delicious. I love it when those two food elements go hand in hand and this Greek Salad with Greek Salad Dressing was the perfect solution.
I hope you take a look at the Greek recipe that we served with this salad. The two went hand and hand which is always a plus and the fact that this salad/side dish contained key ingredients from it’s counterpart-main made preparation a breeze. The best part though – the guests loved it. There were even a few, “Is that feta that I’m tasting?” I chuckled silently to myself because although there may be Greek salad without feta cheese; in my somewhat sheltered and mid-western culinarian mind such a scenario would be hard to imagine. This standard “Americanized-Greek” salad is always a welcome diversion at our table. It’s simple, it’s full of Greek flavor, and never failing to delight – it has feta in it! If you are not familiar with this salad, I hope you will introduce it into your kitchen and on to your table soon. -Dan
Homemade Greek Salad Dressing
- 1 hothouse cucumber unpeeled, seeded, and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper large-diced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- ½ red onion sliced in half-rounds
- ½ pound feta cheese ½-inch diced (not crumbled)
- ½ cup kalamata olives pitted
For the dressing:
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup good red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Read more at: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/greek-salad-recipe.html?oc=linkback
- Place the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Still whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add the feta and olives and toss lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.