Hot chocolate fudge is the perfect winter treat. We love to make this around the holidays and include it in our Christmas cookie exchange.
But honestly, our kids enjoy this homemade treat year-round. Read on and we’ll show you how to put this easy microwave fudge together in just 15 minutes!
This hot chocolate fudge recipe with marshmallows is made in the microwave and uses just a handful of common baking ingredients. Our mail-carrier gets a box of this every holiday season, along with the guy who plows our driveway. And every year the boys make this for their grandma and grandpa.
Ingredients and notes
This holiday candy combines the flavors of hot chocolate and marshmallows. What could taste better?!
This microwave fudge uses a liquid base of sweetened condensed milk and a little bit of heavy cream. The few remaining ingredients can be tailored to match your taste and imagination!
- Chocolate Chips – We use milk chocolate chips for their smooth flavor but you can go bold with a darker variety or add a twist by using some mint-flavored ones.
- Heavy Cream – Although this recipe uses just a tablespoon, you can use half-and-half or whole milk too.
- Marshmallows – If you don’t have mini ones, you can use tear up small pieces of whole marshmallows. This gives the hot chocolate fudge more of a rustic flare.
How to make this microwave fudge
(See the full recipe at the end of this post.)
Gather your ingredients and kitchen equipment. Both are minimal but to make this microwave fudge you’ll need:
- Microwavable bowls
- Stirring spoons
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 8 x 9-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper and cooking spray
Start by greasing an 8 x 8-inch baking pan and then line it with parchment paper.
- Using a microwavable bowl, combine the milk chocolate chips with some sweetened condensed milk.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds, stir, and microwave for 10 more seconds. Repeat on 10 second intervals, if necessary, until completely melted.
- Evenly distribute the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
4. Combine the white chocolate chips with 5 tablespoons of the sweetened condensed milk, in a microwavable bowl.
5. Repeat the melting process using the same method as the milk chocolate mixture.
6. Pour and evenly distribute the white mixture over the dark base.
Now, evenly distribute the marshmallows over the top. Using gently pressure with the palm of your hand, press them into the top layer to they stick.
Next, you’ll refrigerate this microwave fudge for 2 or 3 hours, or until it is firmly set.
Finally, you’ll use the parchment paper to gently lift the fudge out of the pan. Then, just cut into a bunch of yummy pieces!
Things to avoid when making this microwave fudge
- Do not overheat the chocolate in the microwave – This will make the chocolate seize and it will be useless! To keep this from happening, you can melt the chocolate with a double-boiler. This is a much more forgiving method to melt chocolate.
- Do not let any water mix with the chocolate. Chocolate is a solid (like flour.) When you mix water with it as it melts, you will get an unusable paste.
Common recipe questions
This microwave fudge, once set, can be left at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two weeks. It will last for up to four weeks in the refrigerator.
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Hot Chocolate Fudge
- 1 ¼ cups White chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp Heavy cream
- 14 oz Sweetened and condensed milk 1 can, divided.
- 2 cups Milk chocolate chips
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Line an 8 x 8-iinch pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a microwavable bowl, combine the white chocolate, heavy cream, and 5 tablespoons of the sweetened and condensed milk. Set aside.
- In a separate microwavable bowl, combine the milk chocolate chips, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the remaining sweetened and condensed milk. Melt this firt by microwaving it for 30 seconds. When you take it out, stir it and make sure all is melted and combined. If not, microwave for another 10 seconds, or until completely melted.
- Once the dark mixture is melted, quickly add the vanilla extract and mix it well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and evenly distribute it.
- Next, melt the white chocolate mixture using the same method as before. Pour this over the dark layer in the pan, distribute evenly.
- Evenly spread the marshmallows on the top layer and gently press them into the mixture.
- Refrigergate for 2 hours or until completely set. Once it the fudge has set, use the parchment paper and carefully remove the fudge from the pan. Cut and servie.