We’ve taken a winter siesta here on Platter Talk, having not published any posts in the last week or so. Driving into work this morning my vehicle’s thermometer was registering at 14 below zero (F) or for you folks in the metric world, that would be nearly 26 below (C.) You can measure it anyway you like, but cold is cold and with temperatures like that it’s little wonder we felt the urge to do a little hibernating.
If there is one good thing about extremely cold weather it has to be that comfort food tastes that much more comforting. This casserole, featuring boneless chicken breasts atop of broth cooked rice and a vegetable medley – all topped with cheddar cheese, was the perfect meal for a cold winter evening. Essentially a one pot wonder, this casserole is a balanced meal with protein galore, some hearty carbs, and an array of vegetables to top it off. As a bonus, it takes only a few minutes to put together and our boys loved the taste and their dads loved the ease and balanced nutrition this one has to offer. Best of all, it made us forget just how cold it is outside, if only for an hour or so. We hope you are staying warm, wherever you may be. -Dan
Never Miss Another Platter Talk Recipe
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 whole boneless chicken breast split in half (or 4 halves)
- 1 family size can cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups hot chicken broth reduced sodium
- 2 cups frozen vegetables
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9x13 casserole pan with non-stick spray.
- In large bowl, combine soup, hot chicken broth, salt, and rice.
- Mix thoroughly and pour into prepared casserole pan.
- Evenly distribute vegetables on top of broth mixture.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of vegetables.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 60-90 minutes or until chicken is done and rice is light and fluffy.
- Remove foil, sprinkle cheese over chicken and allow to set for 5-10 minutes prior to serving.