Fish Tacos Recipe
on Aug 20, 2019, Updated Oct 15, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy fish tacos recipe is perfect for those days when you feel like you need to reboot to a lighter diet without sacrificing taste and flavor.
The mahi-mahi we use for these healthy fish tacos packs them with protein and the accompanying recipe for citrus marinade ensures there is flavor galore. No wonder this is one of our favorite seafood recipes!
Table of Contents
Easy Fish Tacos
I mentioned the flavor and health in this fish taco recipe but there’s another benefit to this delicious fish recipe: Time! Like this recipe for Boom Boom Shrimp Tacos, these are ready to eat in about 30 minutes!
These healthy fish tacos are seriously a wonder meal.
Let’s get started with making them!
How to Make this Fish Taco Recipe
This super simple citrus marinade that we use for this fish taco recipe plays double duty.
We soak the fish in it and we also use it to flavor the fish taco cole slaw.
So, the first thing we’ll do is get started with the fresh citrus marinade. It goes together in a snap!
Make the Marinade
- Start by slicing a couple of juicy oranges and a fresh lime.
- Use a juice squeezer and combine a quarter cup of orange juice with the juice from one lime.
- Add a little honey to the marinade.
- Stir in some Dijon mustard for a little flare.
- Add olive oi.
- Whisk it all together and divide.
You’re going to use half of this marinade for the fish and the other half to pour over the fish taco slaw.
Soak and Bake the Mahi-Mahi
- Cube the mahi-mahi and then pour half of the prepared marinade over it, using a 9×9 inch casserole dish.
- Bake the mahi-mahi at 375° for 15 minutes.
Make the Fish Taco Cole Slaw
For this fish taco cole slaw, you’re going to need
- Fresh Citrus Marinade
- Salt and Pepper
- Combine the ingredients for this fish taco cole slaw in a mixing bowl.
- Stir it all together.
Put it all Together!
You’re almost to the best part of this easy fish taco recipe, which is eating them of course.
First, you have just one more step, and that is putting the fish tacos together.
After you take the fish out of the oven, you’re going to use a slotted spoon and place the mahi-mahi on some corn tortillas.
Don’t throw out the residual marinade; you may want to spoon it over the finished fish tacos for a little extra juice and flavor!
FAQ for Fish Tacos
These fish tacos reheat nicely in the microwave.
Keep them wrapped air-tight for up to two days in the refrigerator if you want to reheat them later.
To prevent the tacos from getting soggy, store the tortillas separately from the fish and slaw, put it all together when ready to re-heat.
White fish that is lean and flakey is the best to use for fish tacos because they are light in flavor (not fishy tasting), they cook quickly, and they are inexpensive. Other good fish for fish tacos include:
I do not include tilapia in this list, although it is commonly used in fish tacos. The reason, friends, don’t let friends eat tilapia.
2-3 Tblsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 Tblsp lime juice ( optional )
1 tsp raw honey
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 Tblsp Olive oil
combine orange juice, lemon juice & honey in a bowl, whisk to blend, add in mustard and whisk, slowly whisk in oil & store in the refrigerator
– See more at https://www.livelovefitness.com/nutrition/focus-t25-nutrition-guide#sthash.rIEkGufE.dpuf
Grilled Fish Tacos with cabbage citrus slaw
6 oz. white fish ( cod, halibut, mahi-mahi, etc.) season with Himalayan or sea salt then marinate in a citrus dressing
slaw for a taco: shredded cabbage, 1/4 avocado, shredded jicama, fresh cilantro mix in bowl and dress with Citrus Marinade
Grill fish or bake at 375′ for 15 minutes
put fish and slaw in 2 corn tortillas, rice wraps or whole grain pitas
– See more at https://www.livelovefitness.com/nutrition/focus-t25-nutrition-guide#sthash.rIEkGufE.dpu
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Easy Fish Taco Recipe
For the Tacos
- 6 oz. white fish, cod, halibut, mahi-mahi, etc., lightly seasoned with sea salt
- 1 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, washed and stemmed
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 corn tortilla wraps
For the Citrus Marinade
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- juice from 1 fresh lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare marinade by combining all marinade ingredients together in medium size mixing bowl.
- Divide marinade in half, set aside.
- Cube fish in 1 inch cubes, removing skin if necessary.
- Add fish to 1/2 of reserved marinade, swish around until fish is thoroughly covered.
- Add fish (with marinade) to 9 x 9 baking dish, bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cabbage, avocado, cilantro and tomato and mix together with second half of reserved marinade.
- Remove fish from baking pan with slotted spoon and place in tortillas, reserve residual marinade
- Top with slaw mixture.
- Top with residual marinade, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.