Serve this chocolate banana cake as a deep chocolatey dessert or slice it up and call it a chocolate banana bread. You’ll be too far lost in its deep chocolate flavor to care what it is called.
Chocolate Banana Bread
This chocolate banana bread tastes more like a dessert but maybe a bit lighter and healthier (in your mind at least) than a cake.
Either way, its loaded with chocolate and bananas and is a showstopper dessert bread.
Featured Ingredients of this Chocolate Banana Bread
- Wheat flour (makes is a bit cakier than bread)
- Cocoa powder
- Sour Cream
- Bittersweet Chocolate
To Make this Chocolate Banana Bread
Start by turning your oven on at 350° F. and grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
Line the pan with parchment paper and let’s get started with the good stuff.
If you don’t have any whole wheat flour on hand, don’t sweat it.
You can go all-purpose all the way for a less dense and more bread-like finished product.
Why We Use Ripe Bananas for Banana Bread
- They are easier to mash and will be more evenly distributed in the batter.
- Ripe bananas are sweeter as their starch content converts to sugar over time.
- They are more aromatic and will enhance the flavor of the banana bread.
Use a stand mixer or hand mixer and cream the butter, brown sugar, and eggs.
- Crack your eggs open in a small dish before adding to the main bowl, to prevent ruining the entire batch if you have a bloody egg or lose a bunch of shell with the egg.
- Use eggs that are at room temperature. This will help ensure a more even baking process.
- Only have cold eggs from the refrigerator? Not a problem. Follow this link to learn How to Bring Eggs to Room Temperature.
The chocolate banana bread uses sour cream which is pretty common in many chocolate cake recipes.
Sour cream is used for creamy textures and subtle sour notes that nicely compliment the chocolate.
Feel free to substitute plain Greek nonfat yogurt, instead of sour cream. You’ll still get a great flavor and added creaminess with fewer fat and calories.
After you combine the wet and dry mixtures, you will fold in some chopped bittersweet chocolate for this banana bread.
After you evenly distribute the batter into the prepared loaf pan, slice up the remaining banana, lengthwise, and lay it on top of the batter. Sprinkle some demerara sugar on top of the whole thing and it’s ready for the oven!
This banana bread takes a little over an hour to bake. It’s done when a cake tester is inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the chocolate loaf to cool completely and then use the overhanging parchment paper to lift it out of the pan and on a serving platter or cutting board.
More Baked Banana Recipes
- Banana Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Crumb Cake
- Baked Banana French Toast
- Banana Snack Cake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Also Featured on Meal Plan Monday!
Chocolate Banana Bread
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1.25 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 5 bananas large, over-ripe
- 6 tbs unsalted butter
- 1.25 cup brown sugar light
- 2 eggs large, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F and lightly grease a 9x5" loaf pan. Line the bottom of the loaf pan with parchment paper, and leave a good amount of overhang.
- Combine the flours with the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, using a medium-sized bowl.
- Use a fork to mash 4 bananas, in a small mixing bowl until smooth. Next, cream the brown sugar and the butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add each egg, one at a time and while mixing. Add the add sour cream, vanilla, and mashed bananas and stir until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, taking care to not over-beat. Fold in the chopped chocolate. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and distribute evenly. Be sure to scrape sides and bottom of the mixing bowl as to get every last bit of the batter.
- Slice remaining banana into thirds, lengthwise, and place on top of batter. Sprinkle the top of batter and bananas with the demerara sugar. Place chocolate banana bread in the oven and bake for 65-75 minutes, until a cake tester comes clean when inserted in center of the loaf.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Then, use the overhanging parchment paper to lift the loaf out of the pan and onto serving platter or cutting board.