Pumpkin cookies are an easy pumpkin dessert that you and your kids will have as much fun making as eating!
Have you ever lost a day, just in the ordinary midst of life?
I’m not proud to admit; it has happened to me.
Normally it happens when I’m on vacation and away from work, away from the duties of home, and away from life for a bit.
Not yesterday, though. Somehow the last day of September slipped right past me, like a thief in the night.
Imagine my surprise, my sense of loss, when I was informed this morning shortly after arriving at work that today is the first day of October.
Regardless of the day or the month, these cookies are light and delicious bits of October that can be savored, enjoyed, and dunked on any day of any month.
Summer has passed and the beginning of the fall season always brings with it cooler outdoor temps and warmer outdoor colors.
It’s a great time to bring a little color into the kitchen and the cookie jar as well.
These soft, old-fashioned pumpkin cookies fit the bill, perfectly.
FAQ for Pumpkin Cookies
Are pumpkin cookies healthy?
- This varies by recipe. Using ingredients like whole wheat flour, 100% packed pumpkin, and substituting butter with unsweetened applesauce can make them healthier.
- For examples of healthy pumpkin cookies, see these links:
How do you store pumpkin cookies?
- After they have cooled, store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Beyond three days, store in the freezer as described below.
Can you freeze pumpkin cookies?
- Pumpkin cookies can be frozen, but just like any other cookie, freeze them individually first to prevent them from sticking together.
- Do this by placing them on a cookie sheet, covered with plastic wrap. Freeze the entire tray of cookies and then transfer them into a larger zip lock back to store in the freezer.
- These pumpkin cookies will stay good in the freezer from one month to six weeks.
If you’ve tried this recipe for Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies or any other recipe on Platter Talk, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below, we love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what we have cooking.
Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies
For the Cookies
For the Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease baking sheets.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle Glaze over cookies.
For the Glaze
- Combine glaze ingredients in small mixing bowl, stir till smooth and creamy.
Updated from the original post of October 1, 2014