Low-carb enchiladas can be made to be delicious and this recipe is here to prove it. Borrowing a trick from our popular , we use cabbage instead of corn or flour tortillas. Low in carbs, this keto enchilada recipe is high in flavor! As a bonus, this is another great (Polish stuffed cabbage recipe)recipe for leftover chicken.
About this recipe
It can be hard to find keto-friendly Mexican food. Tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and rice and beans usually are loaded with carbs. This low-carb enchiladas recipe is a keto Mexican food that you can make at home. Did we mention that these are also gluten-free enchiladas?
Because we like to be lazy in the kitchen, we took a shortcut with these enchiladas and used a rotisserie chicken. If you want to use beef instead, that would be equally delicious for these Mexican cabbage rolls.
What's in it?
How to make them
Before getting started, gather all of the ingredients.
1. First, you're going to add 4 cups of water to a stockpot and bring it to a rolling boil. Then, carefully tear of 10 or 12 cabbage leaves. Use a set of kitchen tongs to dip each leaf into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Allow the leaves to drain on a paper towel.
Pro Kitchen Tip
Adding a capful of distilled white vinegar to the water may reduce any bitterness of the cabbage.
While your cabbage leaves are drying, you can get down to the meat of these cabbage enchiladas.
2. Use a large saute pan and heat the olive oil. Then, saute the onion and bell pepper, along with the seasonings, over medium heat. Do this for about five minutes, until vegetables are soft.
3. Add the shredded chicken and stir in a cup of the enchilada sauce. Now, turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro. If you don't like cilantro, leave it out.
5. Place a big scoop of the chicken mixture onto the center of each cabbage leaf. Fold the short ends of each leaf in and then roll into a cylinder.
6. Tuck the cabbage enchiladas into a 16" x 9" baking pan and pour the remaining enchilada sauce over all of them.
7. Combine the cheeses and sprinkle on top of cabbage rolls.
8. Bake for 20 minutes at 350° F.
Once these keto enchiladas come out of the oven, garnish with some sour cream and serve them up!
What to serve with this recipe
This is a meal all by itself, but that's not to say you can't add a few goodies to this low carb dish! A couple of tasty suggestions might include:
We hope you enjoy this recipe for low-carb enchiladas. Please give it a try and let us know your thoughts. Also, be sure and try our similar recipe for cabbage roll casserole!
How do I store the leftovers?
If you have leftovers, wrap them in plastic kitchen wrap and store up to five days in the fridge. Reheat in a pan or in the microwave.
What can I use other than chicken for these enchiladas?
Shredded pork or shredded beef work well with these keto enchiladas. They are a great way to use leftovers from pork and beef dishes. Additionally, you can use ground beef or turkey as well.
How do I make low carb enchilada sauce?
If you want to make your own sauce, this recipe for low carb enchilada sauce is simple and tasty. Make this sauce in under 10 minutes!
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
- Large skillet
- Casserole pan
- 1 head green cabbage Use 10 - 12 cabbage leaves.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3 cups shredded chicken cooked. Also, you can use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- 1 ⅓ cups enchilada sauce red enchilada sauce
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped, plus more for garnish.
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- ½ cup shredded cheese shredded
- ½ cup sour cream for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Add four cups of water to a stockpot and bring to a boil. Using kitchen tongs, dip each cabbage leaf into the water for 30 seconds and then drain them on a paper towel.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, using a large skillet. Saute the onion and bell pepper for about five minutes, until soft. Add the cumin, chili powder, and garlic and stir well. Add a cup of the enchilada sauce, along with the chicken, and stir well. Turn the heat off and stir in cilantro, if desired.
- Use a heaping tablespoon to scoop out a portion of the chicken mixture onto the center of each cabbage leaf. Fold in the ends and then roll the sides in like a burrito. Place the cabbage rolls into a rectangular casserole dish and pour the remaining enchilada sauce over them. Combine the cheeses and evenly sprinkle over the enchiladas. Bake for 20 minutes and drizzle sour cream over the enchiladas. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
- Net Carbs - 9 grams
- Protein - 21 grams
- Fat - 14 grams
Adding a teaspoon of white vinegar to the water may reduce the bitterness of the cabbage.