Easy Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler Recipe
on Jul 09, 2013, Updated Aug 06, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Peach cobbler is one of my favorite desserts; I’ve been making it for a long time. And I’ve been eating it for even longer!
Read on, and let me show you how to make peach cobbler that is impossible to resist.
Table of Contents
This easy peach cobbler recipe is my go-to when I have a lot of peaches during peach season. It brings back memories of the time of year when ripe, juicy peaches are at their best in the grocery store.
Plus, the wonderful aroma filling our kitchen as it bakes is irresistible! To make this easy peach cobbler even better, we show you how to tell when a patch is ripe, in another post.
This old-fashioned peach cobbler recipe has a special place in my heart. It’s an original recipe handed down from generations.
With sweet peaches topped with a golden-brown cobbler topping, it’s an easy and delicious dessert that never fails to impress my guests. It serves the perfect purpose of making everyone feel loved and welcomed in my home.
Peach cobbler ingredients
- Fresh peach slices, peeled: The star of this delicious cobbler recipe! Fresh peaches give the best results, but canned or frozen peaches will also work in a pinch. The sweet, juicy peaches are what make this cobbler so delightful.
- Flour: I prefer using all-purpose flour for this recipe. It helps to create a quick batter that bakes up perfectly on top of the peaches.
- Milk: This gives our cobbler topping its tender, moist texture. Always use it at room temperature for the best results.
- Sugar: A little bit goes a long way. A cup of sugar is enough to sweeten our fruit dessert without overshadowing the natural sweetness of the peaches.
- Baking Soda: This helps the cobbler topping rise and get that beautiful golden brown color when baked.
- Butter: I like to use a whole stick of butter, melted. It gives a rich flavor to the cobbler and makes the top of the batter nice and crispy.
- Cinnamon and/or Nutmeg to taste: These spices add warmth and depth to the cobbler. A little bit truly transforms the whole thing!
How to make it
Making this old-fashioned peach cobbler recipe is as easy as pie!
Simply combine the dry ingredients, add in the cooked wet ones, mix flour and sugar to make a quick batter, then pour batter over the melted butter in a baking dish.
Pour the cooked peaches on top of the batter and sprinkle some optional brown sugar for an extra touch of sweetness.
Bake until the cobbler is golden brown; there you have it, a delicious homemade peach cobbler!
Variations and substitutions
One of the best things about this easy peach cobbler recipe is its versatility.
If you don’t have fresh peaches, canned peaches or even other fresh fruits like apples or berries would make a great substitute.
You can also use a cake mix or biscuit dough instead of making the cobbler topping from scratch.
A touch of lemon juice can also add a fresh and lively tang to balance the sweetness.
How to serve peach cobbler
This delicious peach cobbler is best served warm, straight from the baking dish. A scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream on top makes it even more decadent.
It’s the perfect way to end a meal or to enjoy as a treat on a lazy afternoon.
Yes, you can! But remember, using fresh, ripe peaches during the peach season gives the best peach cobbler recipe.
Store it covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator. To serve, simply warm it in the oven.
Absolutely! If you have a lot of peaches or a big crowd to feed, you can easily double this recipe. Just make sure to use a larger baking dish.
This is my all-time favorite peach recipe and a great way to enjoy the season of sweet peaches. So, why not try this delicious dessert the next time you have some peaches on hand?
I assure you, this will become your new favorite summer dessert too! Remember to leave a star rating on the recipe card to let us know how much you loved it. Happy baking!
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Easy Peach Cobbler Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large sauce pan, bring peaches, 1 cup of sugar, and cinnamon or nutmeg to boil, stirring constantly.
- In 9″ x 13″ baking pan, melt butter.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, remaining 1 cup of sugar, and milk.
- Mix until all dry ingredients are moist.
- Pour batter into baking pan, being sure to distribute evenly.
- Pour peach mixture over batter.
- Place in oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve warm or refrigerate for later use.
- Add a cup of other fresh fruit if you like. In preparing this recipe, I tossed in some blueberries which contributed some nice color and flavor to the recipe.
- Out of ground cinnamon? (As I was.) Place a couple of cinnamon sticks in the sauce pan with the peaches, then bake with the rest of the ingredients.
- Have vanilla ice cream on hand to accompany this cobbler.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This peach cobbler recipe has been updated from the original post of July 9, 2013.