What is this?
We have to put up with what seems like 8 months of winter yet even with the hassle of all that snow and bad weather, it is well worth the wait for the beautiful summer days that we are in the midst of. During these glorious daylight hours, I like to sit back with a nice cold refreshing beverage. My cocktail of choice for this day was rhubarb slush.
I was first introduced to Gloria's rhubarb slush nearly 20 years ago. Gloria is a tried and true farm girl. She is great at whatever she does. Her gardens are plentiful. Her food is always delicious and she bakes like a dream.
However, when this drink was first offered to me, I wasn't really sure what to think. At that point in my life, I didn't even know what rhubarb was. But what I was certain of is that if this was something Gloria put together, then I knew that it was going to be good.
This rhubarb slush recipe screams summer in a glass
For me, it was love after the first sip. The drink itself is sweet, tart, and refreshing. The nice thing about it is that it screams summer in a glass. It can be served with or without alcohol. Our kids flip when they know that we are making up a batch of the slush.
We just served this frozen refreshment over the Independence Day holiday, at our small cottage on a small lake in the middle of Nowhere, Wisconsin. Our guests had a somewhat baffled look on their faces when I told them what we were serving as a beverage but let me tell you, they too were hooked with just one sip. This is the stuff that gives cause to make double batches; next time I'll know better.
Do your palate a favor, the next time you see some rhubarb in the store or at a farmer's market, pick some up and give this recipe rhubarb slush a whirl. You can thank Gloria for this delicious drink. -Scott
Looking for another great rhubarb recipe? Try our Rhubarb Cake!
Other refreshing drinks
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Frozen Rhubarb Slush
- 6 cups rhubarb diced
- 1 quart water
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 oz lemonade concentrate
- 6 oz orange juice concentrate
- 3 cupa cold water
- In a stock pot add diced rhubarb to 1 quart of water. Cover and cook over medium heat until rhubarb is softened.
- Mash the rhubarb with a potato masher and then strain the rhubarb juice and reserve. It is okay to get some of the pulp into the liquid.
- Add the sugar to the juice while it is hot and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the lemonade and orange juice concentrate along with the remaining 3 cups of cold water to the sweetened rhubarb juice. Stir to combine.
- Pour into a container, cover and place into freezer to freeze.
- When ready, serve the frozen rhubarb mixture loosely parked in a glass with white soda. An ice cream scoop works great for this.
- For an alcoholic version, add a little vodka to your glass and follow the instructions listed above.