What is this?
Risotto is a creamy rice dish that is made by using warm broth.
There are many types of this Italian rice dish, such as this tomato risotto but most of them contain a few common ingredients.:
- White Wine
- Parmesan Cheese
How to make it
The first thing you will do is heat a large pot of broth to a low boil and then reduce the temperature to keep it hot.
Now that you have some hot broth to work with, it's time to make the risotto.
You will begin with sauteeing some chopped onion, in some hot butter and/or olive oil.
When the onion saute starts to soften, add the rice and cherry tomatoes and then the wine.
Cook the mixture down until the wine is reduced by about half.
Now you will begin to add the hot broth to the tomato, wine, and rice mixture, a ladle or two at a time.
Add a pinch or two of salt between ladles of hot broth.
Continue to stir the rice and add the hot broth until it is absorbed by the rice.
When the broth is absorbed, the risotto al pomodoro is ready to serve!
Italian short-grain rice, such as arborio rice is the best for making risotto.
Dry and crisp white wines are the best wines to make risotto. Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Unoaked Chardonnay.
In general, don't use the cheapest bottle of wine you can find but there's no need to use an expensive bottle of wine for making this tomato risotto.
You can store this risotto al pomodoro in the refrigerator for up to five days, using an air-tight container.
If there is meat in risotto, discard it after three days.
Every one of these creations, which started in Italy and ended up in the small kitchen of this soft-spoken and warmhearted Methodist pastor in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, is a winner in their own right.
What's more, every one of them is "doable" in your kitchen.
Give them a try, and then give them a try again. Before too long, you - yourself, will be creating these dishes that through generations have come to be known as "real" Italian cooking.
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Risotto al Pomodoro
- 12 oz. arborio rice
- 2 quarts broth
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt divided in pinches
- ¼ cut fresh basil coarsely chopped
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat broth, in large pot over medium heat, to a light boil then reduce heat to keep hot.
- In large saute pan over medium heat, place olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter
- Add onion to saute pan and stir until translucsent
- Add rice to onions and stir
- Add tomatoes and stir
- Add wine, reduce to half
- Gradually add broth, a ladle at a time till absorbed into rice, stir intermittently
- Add a pinch of salt between ladles of broth
- Continue to add broth while rice cooks, stirring and gently mashing tomatoes in mixture
- When rice is tender and broth absorbed, place in serving bowl
- Add remaining tablespoon butter and grated cheese. Stir and serve immediately.
- Only use red onion if using tomatoes, if not using tomatoes than use white onions as the rice will take on the color of the onions.
- Presentation and coordination of color in the food is very important
- If you enjoy eating Italian food, learn how to pronounce it in Italian - it will taste even better!