Whitefish recipes come in many forms. Baked, broiled, fried, and boiled, there are so many ways to make this seafood.
Today we’re sharing this healthy fish recipe that you can make in just 30 minutes!
What is this?
Whitefish dredged in lemon juice, fresh ginger, and Parmesan cheese. Serve this healthy seafood dinner on a bed of cumin-flavored black beans.
My sister, Chef Kathy Zehr created this healthy fish recipe during her time at the Culinary Institute of America. Seafood is one of her specialties and she calls this whitefish recipe Seafood Falmouth.
(Family secret: Che Kathy once confided in me that she was a sea otter in her previous life.) True story.
Because of their similar characteristics, you can use your favorite whitefish for this recipe. Any of these will work:
- Atlantic Cod
How to make it
(Full recipe at the end of this post)
- Use a food processor to combine some garlic, ginger, and lemon juice. Then stir in some shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Dredge the whitefish in an egg wash, garlic mixture, and breadcrumbs. Then saute in olive oil for a minute or two.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 25 minutes (depending on if your fish is thawed or frozen.)
- Serve over a bed of black beans.
If you don’t care for black beans, you can use any of the following:
- Long-grain rice.
- Sauteed vegetables like asparagus or Brussels sprouts or even green beans.
Pro Kitchen Tip
Serve any seafood on a preheated plate. Any fish will cool quickly and placing it on a cold plate or even room-temperature plate will only cause it to cool even faster.
Nobody likes cold fish! A pre-warmed dinner plate will ensure that your whitefish will stay warmer longer and allow you to have a nice, relaxing dinner!
Common recipe questions
This includes a variety of common seafood. Typically it is mild in flavor, colorless, and with dry flesh. Cod, haddock, tilapia, and soul are all common examples.
Yes, this type of seafood is high in protein and low in fat. It is a good choice for people who are trying to lose weight or eat a healthy diet.
If frozen, you’ll bake this for about 25 minutes. If thawed, it will only take about 15 minutes. You’ll know it is done when the fish is flaky and warm in the center.
This should stay good for up to four days in the refrigerator. The longer you keep it, the dryer it will be and it may have a “fishy” odor.
Also, be sure and take a look at our culinary journey through New England featuring the best of New England cuisine!
🧑🍳 Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏭️ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬 Get our recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Parmesan Baked White Fish
for the fish
- 16 oz whitefish in divided portions
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves peeled
- fresh ginger root peeled (½″ x 2″)
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese plus 1 tablespoon for garnishing
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panco-style bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- lemon wedges for garnish
for the beans
- 1 15 oz can of low sodium black beans drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
for the fish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use small food processor and pulse-process garlic, ginger and lemon juice.
- Add salt and Parmesan cheese to mixture, stir well and place in shallow bowl for dredging.
- Beat egg, place in shallow bowl for dredging,
- Place breadcrumbs in shallow bowl for dredging.
- Heat olive oil in large oven-safe sauté pan over medium heat.
- Dredge fish in egg wash, garlic mixture, and finally bread crumbs
- Place fish in oven-safe sauté pan and fry for 1 to 2 minutes
- Place pan in oven and bake for 15 to 25 minutes (depending on fresh vs. frozen), until warm and flaky throughout.
- Serve immediately atop black beans, on preheated plate.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
for the beans
- Heat olive oil in small fry pan over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add black beans and continue to heat, reducing heat to low setting.
- Stir in cumin and cilantro.
- Continue to heat and stir occasionally, until ready to serve.
When dredging, use hands to cover fish surface as much as possible
Garlic mixture might Garnish plated entree with shredded Parmesan cheese