This Italian Turkey Sausage skillet dinner can be made in less than an hour. As a bonus, you can make this easy family meal and feed eight hungry appetites for under $10.
Italian Turkey Sausage Skillet Dinner
This was one of those meals “on the fly,” put together last weekend at our little lake cottage filled with our six boys and our two dogs – Ellie, our adorable but snaggletoothed English bulldog and her brother, Buddy (Guy), the latte-colored and always very busy chihuahua that we adopted earlier this summer.
We’ve been using this great turkey Italian sausage for a while now. I love the flavor and the non-greasy taste. As an added bonus, each savory link contains a fraction of the fat content of pork sausage. It goes very well on pizza, in spaghetti, in lasagna, and even as a breakfast side.
There is nothing like having a 17-year-old boy in the same kitchen with you to convey a sense of dire urgency while preparing a meal – of any kind. Throw in some sauteed garlic and sausage on the stovetop and that urgency is heightened ten-fold, or so it seems. As if he wasn’t enough of a virtual cattle prod, there was a chorus of echoes coming from the adjacent living room.
“Something smells good, Pa.”
“When are we eating?”
“What smells so good?”
“What time are we eating?”
“How much longer?”
“Do I smell hash browns?”
Comments from the dining room during lunch:
“This is great, Dad!”
“Can I have seconds?”
“What kind of meatballs are these?”
“Can you make this again?”
Go ahead, put this together. I can’t wait to hear the comments that come your way. Oh, and be sure to get back to us on those. -Dan
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Rings
- Mushroom and Sausage Pasta
- White Bean and Sausage Soup
- Italian Turkey Sausage and Spinach
Italian Turkey Sausage Skillet
- 6 oz egg noodles
- 1 lb. Italian Turkey Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 garlic clove thinly sliced
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cans cream of tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley chopped plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut sausage links into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat and brown sausage, without fully cooking.
- Add onion and garlic, stir and saute with sausage until soft and translucent.
- Stir in Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and parsley, set aside.
- Prepare egg noodles in boiling water, as directed, and drain.
- Combine sausage mixture and noodles in mixing bowl, add tomato soup and stir well. Reserve skillet for baking.
- Stir in cheese and milk then transfer back to skillet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, add additional milk to prevent from drying out, if necessary.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes after removing from oven. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.