Last Saturday upon waking at our little cottage in the middle of Nowhere, Wisconsin, the weather was misty and the thermometer read a balmy 37 degrees. While typically I would have pulled up the blankets and slept the day away, I decided that would not do, not today. Instead, we all got dressed and hit the local farmers market.
Normally, at the farmers market we look for ideas for dinner. But today, dinner this evening was to be provided by our good friends, the O’Connors. We just needed to come up with an idea for dessert. Everywhere I looked, I saw pumpkins. Big gourds, small gourds, decorative gourds. Gourds, gourds, gourds. You know what they say, right? When handed a pumpkin, make pumpkin brownies. O.K., no one says that, but I am taking just a small amount of artistic license with the phrasing.
Our cottage is very comfortable, but I have to say our kitchen at the cottage is not as well equipped as our kitchen at home. Don’t get me wrong, it is very nice. Because of this, I knew that I wanted to make this as easy as possible. Also, I did not want to spend my Saturday in the kitchen. Who does? I had a book calling my name. This recipe uses a standard boxed brownie mix and canned pumpkin. You really can’t get any easier than that.
Mix in a couple of eggs here, some cream cheese there, some vegetable oil and a couple of other standard ingredients, which everyone has in their pantry and voila the pumpkin brownie was born. Quick and easy and ever so delicious. A great treat for the fall, or for anytime you need your chocolate and pumpkin fix.
With dessert made, I leave you so that I can get to that book I’ve been trying to finish. Who am I kidding? I am going back to bed. -Scott
Other delicious brownie recipes
- Pumpkin Brownies
- Smores Brownies
- Supernatural Fudge Brownies Recipe Video & Platter Talk Kids
- Blueberry Vanilla Pudding Blondies
- #Blueberry & Chocolate Cheese #Brownie Cake
Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
- 1 package 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie mix
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
for the brownie portion
- 2 boxes brownie mix
- 1.5 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease bottom only of 9-inch square pan with shortening or cooking spray. In small bowl, beat all filling ingredients with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Set aside.
- Make brownie batter as directed on box, using ingredients as listed above.
- Spread ¾ of the batter in pan. Spoon filling by tablespoonfuls evenly over batter. Spoon remaining brownie batter over filling. Cut through batter several times with knife for marbled design.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted 1 inch from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely. Cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.
- Store covered in refrigerator.