Cranberry Salad is the perfect addition for your big holiday dinner this year.
This easy jello salad is an edible wreath that will wow your guests and is sure to dominate your Christmas tablescape.
Our Cranberry Salad recipe comes to you from the Mennonite Community Cookbook.
It’s the only cookbook that lived in the kitchen cupboard above my mom’s busy oven in our big Mennonite farmhouse.
The Ingredients for Cranberry Salad
- Oranges or Crushed Pineapple
- Cherry or Strawberry Gelatin
How to Make This Easy Jello Salad
After washing some fresh cranberries, you’re going to chop them up. A few pulses in a food processor works perfectly.
Next, you will pare and core a few apples, then finely dice them and add to the fresh cranberries.
This cranberry jello salad takes a distinct holiday turn when you add some nuts and oranges (or pineapple) to the mix.
For this cranberry salad, you will dissolve a packet of either cherry gelatin or strawberry gelatin into a cup of hot water.
Then, you will some cold water to the mixture and whisk it all together.
When the gelatin is cool, use a mixing bowl to combine it with the cranberry mixture. Gently fold it all together until it’s mixed well.
Important Tips for Making this Cranberry Salad
- The hot water needs to be boiling.
- Stir gelatin with the hot water for a full two minutes
- Allow the gelatin to start to thicken a bit before combing the gelatin with the other ingredients.
Be sure and follow the above steps or else the gelatin may not set.
Now it’s time to pour the mixture for this cranberry salad into a salad mold and allow it to congeal.
If you don’t have a salad mold, use a bundt can and just give it a quick spray with some non-stick cooking spray.
A bed of greens on the serving plate makes this cranberry salad the perfect bridge between a traditional salad and a holiday dessert for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Wisconsin is the cranberry capital of the U.S. and being the good cheeseheads that we are, we have many wonderful cranberry recipes for you to try, including:
- Cranberry Bread (there’s cream cheese in this quick bread recipe!)
- Cranberry Swirl Semolina Cake
- Cranberry-Orange Pancakes with Cranberry-Infused Maple Syrup
More Holiday and Christmas Salad Recipes for you to enjoy.
See some of our Mennonite recipes.
- 1/2 lb Cranberries Washed and chopped
- 3 Apples Pared and cored.
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 oranges Chopped. Or 1/2 cup crushed pinapple
- 1 package getlatin strawberry or cherry
- 1 cup water boiling hot
- 1 cup water cold
- Wach and chop cranberries. A few pulses in a food processor works well.
- Pare and core apples then chop finely. Add chopped oranges, nuts, and. sugar to the cranberries.
- In a separate mixing bowl, dissolve the gelatin in hot water and whisk vigorously for two minutes. Add the cold water and mix well. Allow the gelatin to cool and to start to set and then stir in the cranberry mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a salad mold or a bundt pan prepared with a non-stick cooking spray. Allow cool and congeal completely and then unmold onto a bed of salad greens.
- Garnish with additional whole cranberries, if desired.