Leftover Salmon: How Long Is It Safe to Eat?
on Mar 03, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
How long does cooked salmon last in the fridge? Our readers commonly ask this because of the many seafood recipes we feature.
If you have some leftover salmon fillets and are wondering the best way to keep those cooked salmon leftovers, read on for some important tips on avoiding food poisoning while enjoying your delicious fish.
Table of Contents
Why this is important
Delicious salmon is a popular health food full that is full of fatty acids and other well-known health benefits. However, leftover fish that sits at room temperature is an easy way for foodborne illness to rear its ugly head.
According to the USDA, leftover cooked salmon will stay in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How to store raw salmon
If you want to store salmon that is raw, here are some helpful guidelines: It will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
The best way to use leftover salmon starts before it is even cooked. Because of its short shelf life at room temperature, raw fish should not sit at room temperature for more than 1-2 hours.
At warmer temperatures, this timeframe is less. Bacteria love warm environments, so a good rule of thumb is not to allow it to sit out for more than an hour before you cook salmon.
You’ll want to store it in the fridge at 32 degrees Fahrenheit for best results. Since most refrigerators cool to between 38° and 40°, you can wrap the salmon in plastic wrap and sit it on a tray of ice. This is the easiest way to make sure your fish will stay fresh longer.
What is the shelf life of salmon?
Shelf life refers to the period during which a food item is still safe to consume and maintains its quality. The shelf life of this depends on several factors, including the temperature at which it is stored, the quality of the fish, and how it was prepared.
Pro tips for safely handling salmon
When handling this seafood, it is important to follow safe foodhandling practices to prevent foodborne illness. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Wash your hands before and after handling raw salmon. This will help prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Use separate cutting boards and utensils for raw and cooked foods to prevent cross-contamination.
- Preventing Cross-Contamination: Seafood can be a carrier of harmful bacteria, so it is important to take steps to prevent cross-contamination.
- Keep raw salmon away from other foods in your grocery cart and in your refrigerator.
- When preparing this, make sure to wash your hands, utensils, and cutting boards before and after handling.
Cooking Salmon to the Correct Temperature: This must be cooked to an internal temperature of 145°F. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the fish. This will ensure that any harmful bacteria are destroyed and that it is safe to eat.
How long does cooked salmon last in the fridge?
You may be wondering how to keep leftover salmon in the fridge. In general, it can be stored safely in the refrigerator for up to three days after it has been cooked.
After that, it should be discarded, as the risk of spoilage and bacterial growth increases significantly. For best results and food safety, it’s best to eat this sooner than later.
- Pro Tips
- The safest way is to not store it longer than 1-2 days after making it. Plus, it will taste better.
- Using plastic wrap around your leftover salmon and a shallow airtight container will help it to stay good.
The temperature of your refrigerator is crucial in determining the shelf life of leftover salmon. The FDA recommends that the temperature of your refrigerator should be kept at or below 40°F. At this temperature, bacterial growth is slowed down, and your food will stay fresh for longer.
If you are not planning to eat the leftover salmon within the next three days, it is best to freeze it to extend its shelf life. It is essential to follow proper storage guidelines to ensure that the leftover salmon stays fresh and safe to eat.
How long does salmon last in the freezer?
If you do not plan to eat the leftover salmon within the next three days, it is best to freeze it to extend its shelf life.
Before freezing, make sure the it is wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. You can also place it in an airtight container or a freezer-safe bag. When you are ready to eat the fish, keep it in the freezer bag and thaw it in the refrigerator for several hours.
How long does cooked salmon last after being frozen and thawed?
Be sure and check the expiration date if you’re using cooked salmon that was frozen. Follow the two-hour rule for cooked salmon as well.
If it goes longer than this without being properly refrigerated, the growth of bacteria is probably starting already, and it needs to be tossed out.
Signs of spoiled salmon
Storing leftover salmon at a lower temperature creates a danger zone where harmful bacteria can grown, and this is when it can turn into bad salmon.
It is important to be able to recognize the signs of spoiled salmon.
If it appears to have any of the following signs, it’s time to say good bye to it.
- Has a Fishy Smell
- A Slimy Texture
- Sticky Residue
- Brown Spots
- Bad Smell
These signs of spoilage could indicate bacterial growth and a risk of foodborne illness. If you notice any of these, it’s a good idea to not use the leftover salmon.
In conclusion, leftover salmon can be stored safely in the refrigerator for up to three days after it has been cooked. After that, it should be discarded to avoid the risk of bacterial growth and spoilage.
If you are not planning to use it within the next three days, it is best to freeze it to extend its shelf life.
Following proper storage guidelines, such as keeping the refrigerator at or below 40°F, using airtight containers, and wrapping the salmon tightly, can help ensure that the fish stays fresh and safe to eat.
It is also important to recognize the signs of spoiled salmon, such as discoloration, a foul odor, or a slimy texture.
When fish, following safe food handling practices, such as washing your hands and preventing cross-contamination, can help prevent foodborne illness.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your leftover salmon stays fresh, safe, and delicious. Remember always to practice safe food handling practices to prevent foodborne illness and enjoy your leftover fish with confidence.
How to use leftover salmon
This is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes. Here are some easy and delicious ways to use leftover salmon:
- Salmon Salad: Flake the leftover salmon into bite-sized pieces and mix it with greens, veggies, and a simple dressing for a quick and healthy salad. Add leftover salmon to this easy salad recipe for a delicious spin on its taste!
- Salmon Dip: Blend the leftover salmon with cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and your favorite seasonings to make a creamy and flavorful dip. Serve it with crackers or sliced vegetables.
- Salmon Cakes: Mix the leftover salmon with breadcrumbs, eggs, and seasonings to make salmon cakes. Fry them in a pan until golden brown and serve with a side of veggies for a delicious and filling meal. Just substitute it for cod in this recipe for cod cakes.
- Salmon Frittata: Add the leftover salmon to a frittata with some veggies and cheese for a quick and easy breakfast or brunch dish.
- Salmon Chowder: Use the leftover salmon to make a rich and comforting chowder with potatoes, onions, and cream. Add your leftover seafood to this easy potato chowder recipe!
- Salmon Tacos: Flake the leftover salmon and use it as a filling for tacos. Add some avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime for a delicious and healthy meal. Here is an easy fish tacos recipe you can use for this.
- Salmon Pasta: Use the leftover salmon to make a simple and flavorful pasta dish. Toss it with some pasta, olive oil, garlic, and herbs for a quick and satisfying meal.
- Salmon Sushi Rolls: Use the leftover salmon to make homemade sushi rolls. Roll it up with some rice, avocado, and veggies for a fun and delicious meal.
These are just a few ideas for using leftover salmon. With a little creativity, you can turn your leftover salmon into a variety of delicious meals.