on Nov 02, 2017, Updated Mar 05, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
RumChata Cupcakes are the result of taking an ordinary box cake mix and combining it with the best-tasting cream liqueur in the universe.
You too can have a warm, soft taste of heaven in just 35 minutes. Read on and we’ll tell you how it’s done!
The back story on these
I have a very good friend who also happens to be an excellent recipe pimp. Maybe it’s because my friend Amy is herself an incredible kitchen talent in her own right.
When I got a random faceobook message from Amy challenging me to make these RumChata Cupcakes, my response was brief: Game. On.
What’s in them
- Cake mix – You’ll need a box of cake mix for these RumChata cupcakes. We used a plain vanilla one but you can use any flavor you like.
- Frosting – We show you how to make the frosting for these as well, using the usual ingredients that include:
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to make them
Although you don’t need a lot of liqueur for these RumChata cupcakes, it goes in both the batter and in the frosting. Truly, you get a twofer with this easy cupcake recipe.
- Combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, and RumChata and beat together with a fork or hand mixer. Place the batter in a cupcake pan lined with paper holders, till 2/3 filled from top. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350°.
- While the cupcakes are baking, combine and mix the frosting ingredients.
Pro Baking Tip: Be sure and allow the cupcakes to completely cool before frosting!
What’s more, you can pick yourself up a very basic and inexpensive cupcake decorating set. This will be sure to impress your friends and family.!
I’m about as far as you can be from possessing any artistic or creative talent and these tasty little beauties came out pretty appealing.
I’m looking forward to more great recipe ideas from my friend Amy and if you like these RumChata cupcakes, I hope you will share it with your friends and family too.
Thanks for reading Platter Talk, it means the world to us! -Dan
👨🍳 Tried this Recipe? Please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card below and leave a comment. We love hearing from our readers!
⏩ Stay in touch with us on social media by following us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
📬Get our Recipes delivered to your inbox for FREE!
RumChata Cupcakes on Platter Talk
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup RumChata
For the Frosting
- 4 cups powedered sugar, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature.
- 1/3 cup RumChata
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch kosher salt
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350° and line cupcake pan(s) with with 16 cupcake wrappers.
- Combine all four ingredients and mix until smooth. Carefully spoon batter into cupcake liners, to abut 2/3 full. Bake for about 25 minutes or until toothpick come out clean. Place on wire wrack and allow to cool.
For the Frosting
Combine 2 cups powdered sugar with remaining ingredients and mix together until creamy.
- Gradually add remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Pipe the RumChata frosting onto the RumChata cupcakes and garnish with additional cinnamon and cinnamon sticks if desired.
- Use your favorite flavor of cake mix for these RumcChata cupcakes.
- Do not frost the cupcakes until they are completely cooled.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.