While my mom was visiting over the holidays, I took full advantage of her recipes from when I was growing up. We did a bunch of baking, made some appetizers and threw together Mom's Easy Chicken and Biscuits.
Mom's Easy Chicken and Biscuits Recipe
When I was growing up, we did not have much money. My mom was an expert at preparing meals for myself and my 6 siblings on a shoestring budget. We have featured several of these recipes on Platter Talk already (Homemade Beef-a-Roni, and Stuffed Cabbage, to name just a couple,) and now I give to you, Mom's Easy Chicken and Biscuits Recipe.
While I was shopping at the store this past weekend, I came across five and a half pounds of chicken thighs for $0.49 a pound. How could I turn that down? Thinking back, I remembered that mom used to make delicious chicken and biscuits when I was a kid. I did what anyone would do. I put the chicken in the cart and made a date with my mom to make a meal from my past for my family, Mom's Easy Chicken and Biscuits Recipe.
While we were in the kitchen, I learned that Mom's Easy Chicken and Biscuits Recipe is a snap to put together. Only a few spices, an onion, chicken stock and canned biscuits was all we needed to put this meal together. The best thing was all the stories that my mom was able to share with me.
All my childhood memories flooded back to me as the kitchen began to smell as I remembered. When it was finished, Dan, the boys and my mom and myself sat down to enjoy the fruits of our labors.
They got to hear stories of how handsome and smart I was as a child. Well maybe not, but it is my post and that is how I remember the dinner conversation.
Do yourself and your family a favor and give this inexpensive, easy and delicious meal a try. When someone asks you what you are serving tonight, tell them Mom's Easy Chicken and Biscuits. Enjoy! -Scott
If you like this chicken and biscuits recipe, try our skillet chicken and biscuits pot pie!
Mom's Easy Chicken and Biscuits Recipe and Cooking Video
- 5 lbs Skinless Chicken Thighs or any chicken segments of your choice
- 32 oz Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Onion Large, chopped
- 8 Biscuits (from a frozen tube)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place seasoned chicken in a single layer in a 9 X13 pan.
- Place onions on top of the chicken.
- Pour enough chicken stock over the chicken to cover the chicken.
- Place a lid on the pan and put into preheated oven for about an hour.
- After an hour, remove a little of the stock so that the top of your chicken is not in the liquid and place lidded back into the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Place biscuits over the top of the chicken, trying not get liquid on the biscuits.
- Return to the oven for approximately 16-18 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Serve chicken with biscuit and a side of mashed potatoes.
- If you choose to, you can use the previously removed stock and thicken with a tablespoon or so of corn starch or flour to make a heavier gravy.