Cornbread Casserole with Chili features the classic combination of a hearty chili topped with a Jiffy cornbread mix. As a bonus, this cornbread chili is easy and super cheap to make.
Cornbread Casserole with Chili
When cold weather comes, comfort food rules at our house and this Jiffy cornbread recipe always hits the right spot.
I call this Dutch oven chili a one-pot wonder and my whole family calls it delicious.
It’s a Delicious Leftover Chili Recipe
This chili cornbread casserole is also the perfect leftover chili recipe that starts on the stove top and finishes in the oven. You can use your favorite chili recipe as a base and then mix up a batch of cornbread for the topping.
I took the convenience route and threw a boxed mix of Jiffy brand together.
For the base of this chili cornbread casserole, I use a combination of browned pork and beef, along with some aromatics and cilantro, all combined with a couple of packets of chili seasoning. I went easy all the way on this one.
I took a mostly straightforward and easy route with this Cornbread and Chili Pie Recipe. Still, I jazzed it up a bit by roasting about half of the corn in the oven, while the chili cooked on the stove.
This roasted corn was later mixed into the cornbread batter. This gives it an added natural sweetness and some nice texture, both adding substance, and flavor to the meal.
My mother-in-law was in town when we made this, and one of the things that she loved about this Cornbread and Chili Pie Recipe was how the boys devoured it.
Highlights of this Chili Cornbread Casserole
- Make it in one pot.
- The entire meal costs only about $12.00
- Kids love it
If you’re looking for a base chili recipe, have a look at our Chili Cook-off that we sponsored a few years ago.
There are over 30 great chili recipes in the collection, one for everyone’s taste. Try this Cornbread and Chili Pie Recipe and let us know your thoughts, I’m pretty sure you’re going to love it too! -Dan
More Chili Recipes on Platter Talk
Follow this link for more Jiffy recipes.
Chili Cornbread Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion coarse dice
- 2 cloves garlic
- Ground beef and sausage 1.5 - 2 lbs total
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 packets chili seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 8.5 oz boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup corn divided
- 1 16 oz can kidney beans drained
- 1 handful cilantro leaves chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using large oven-safe skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high setting.
- Add onion and garlic, sautée until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add beef and sausage, brown while stirring. Drain or reduce excess fat or water, if present.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes and chili seasoning and bring to a boil while stirring then reduced to low simmer.
- Stir in tomato paste and stir until thickened.
- Meanwhile, prepare cornbread batter as directed, stir in cheese (and 1/2 the corn.)
- Add remaining corn, kidney beans and cilantro to meat mixture and mix well.
- Pour cornbread mixture over chili. Place in oven and bake 35-40 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven, allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream if desired.