If you love one skillet meals, then this skillet chicken pot pie is a must try. Make this skillet recipe in under an hour for only about $10.00!
This Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is a One Skillet Meal!
Our family of six boys loves pot pie dinners , which is why we make them so often.
You can’t have too many good recipes for pot pie, especially when they’re this easy, economical, and delicious.
I had my eye on this easy skillet meal for some time. It’s beyond easy to make and because I like potatoes in my pot pie, I decided to add a few.
The other reason that I added some spuds is because I love peeling and cutting potatoes. Weird right? I For some reason I find it relaxing. Don’t judge me.
Not just that, but this recipe uses my favorite kitchen tool, the timeless cast iron skillet. I got mine from amazon which has a great selection of, cast iron skillets.
To Make this Easy Skillet Meal of Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- Sautée some vegetables with the potatoes
- Add some flour, broth and cream.
- Toss in some diced chicken breast, and seasoning.
- Place some store-bought biscuits on top of the mixture and then bake.
- Easy. Peasy
As I mentioned earlier, I’ve put together a few pot pies before, none have been better than this one. It all makes me chuckle, thinking back to growing up and how I loved the frozen pot pies from the grocery store.
Back then, the “good” ones always had a crust on the bottom. Not this one, though. And guess what, it’s one of the really good ones!
More Skillet Recipes and One Skillet Meals for You to Enjoy!
- Skillet Red Beans and Rice
- Crustless Vegetable Quiche
- Italian Turkey Sausage Skillet
- 3-Ingredient Beefaroni
- Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Skillet Tamale Pie with Brown Butter
Chicken Skillet Pot Pie with Biscuits
- 2-3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 cup potatoes small dice
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1.5 lbs boneless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 package biscuits
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, place olive oil and add thyme, garlic, potatoes, celery, carrots and onions. Stir with a wooden spoon until the vegetables soften, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then add flour. Continuously whisk until flour is cooked and well incorporated. Slowly stir in the broth and cream until mixture is smooth.
- Add chicken and bring to a boil; simmer until thickened about 5 minutes. Stir in frozen peas, corn and parsley. Top with biscuits in an even layer, brush tops with egg wash.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
If biscuits start to get too brown on top, place a sheet of foil over them until pot pie is done baking.
Don't be afraid to make this your own, use the ingredients and seasoning that you prefer!
Updated from the original post of February 2, 2017