Slow Cooker Sticky Caramel Pumpkin Cake – There’s no denying that it’s time to start seriously thinking ‘pumpkin.‘ Halloween is still a few weeks away but suddenly there are gourds and pumpkins popping up all over the place. Speaking of pumpkins, one of them ended up in the most unexpected places the other day – in my slow cooker. When it came out, it looked liked this..
Slow Cooker Sticky Caramel Pumpkin Cake
I realize this photo is only one-dimensional but even those of us with the slightest of imaginations are pretty apt to discern that the cake depicted in this single dimension has an appeal that covers all bases. And all dimensions.
Let’s talk about cost. Some flour, a can of packed pumpkin, some eggs and sugar and a little butter. That’s pretty much it, none of those things are going to break the bank, I’m betting.
This entire recipe, with the cost of the caramel topping, is probably in the $5 to $8 range. Don’t care for caramel? How about a little whipped cream? Ice cream? Plain? Nothing wrong with that option either.
Now, let’s move on to another very important dimension of cooking: Ease. This cake consists of only a few ingredients.
They are simply mixed together in a bowl and then scrapped into an awaiting slow cooker. Not a baker? Who cares?! Easy and no baking skill required. Check.
Now for one of the most critical dimensions of any food: Taste. Even when this one was “cooking” in the crock pot I had a very good idea what this was going to to do my taste buds. Read: Go wild!
In conclusion, this pumpkin treat pretty much has it all. It’s affordable, it’s extremely easy to prepare, and it is scary delicious.
It is the perfect fall dessert for guests or family, for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or any holiday.
“This pumpkin cake is a slow cooker wonder. ”
Not only has it completely satiated my sweet tooth, it has also sparked a determination within me to find more great desserts that can be made in a slow cooker. Please, give this one a taste. -Dan
Love Pumpkin? Be sure and check out ALL our our great pumpkin recipes!
Never Miss Another Platter Talk Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 jar (16 oz) caramel sauce or ice cream topping
- Coat 4½ quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray, turn to "high."
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in mixing bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer for about 3 minutes, until light.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Add packed pumpkin, blend until well mixed.
- Gradually add flour mixture and beat at low speed for a minute or so until smooth.
- Spread evenly in slow cooker and cover.
- Cook on high setting 2 hours or until center-inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let cake stand, uncovered 10 minutes.
- Invert onto wire rack, invert again onto serving plate.
- Drizzle half of caramel sauce over cake. Serve warm with additional sauce.